Why become a member? ×

UA amp pedals -Any rumours of a bass version?

krispn

With the latest two “amp modeller in a box” offerings being released from UA has anyone read anything about UA doing a bass version? 

With the popularity of the Origin gear I feel like UA would be missing a trick if they didn’t use their experience and expertise to look at something for the bassist. I think Tore from TC went over to UA a few years back to develop this stuff. 

Would any of you guys be interested in something like that from UA for bass players? The guitar amp versions come with a heap of cab options and are very tweak-able via an extensive but user friendly app and well designed on pedal options with switches and knob - no screens or serious menu diving. 

They seem to go for about £300-£350 which might just push people to a multi-fx but they do sound fantastic in their guitar versions and I think designed for going direct as much as adding versatility to a live rig. 

What’s folks thoughts? 

Edited by krispn
  • Like 2

Yes, I've been enjoying the 'Enigmatic' videos by Dumble-hungry guitarists. It's market forces and the numbers of bass players. Not sure any bass amps are as iconic as the 5150s and Twin Reverbs, etc of this world. Probably not enough demand for dedicated amp pedals but maybe a bass version with a range of IRs?

Nothing stopping you trying the guitar version.

There are usually good reasons for not putting bass guitar through guitar amps at gig volumes but if it's modelling you can't break anything. The worst that can happen is you won't like the sound.

Remember that a lot of "classic" bass amps are simply a guitar amp with a different name on the front and maybe the EQ frequencies shifted down.

Apart from the Dark Glass pre-amp model, I don't use any bass-centric amps or effects in my patches on the Helix, and I do use a few guitar amp and combo models all of which would  probably break if was to use the real thing at gig volumes.

Yeah I guess I was thinking the bog standard Ampeg style units SVT/B15 type but I think the UA plug in’s are via Brainworkx rather than in house like the 1176, LA-2A software development etc.

Like I mentioned I think Tore from TC was drafted in aith the goal of designing specific guitar-centric pedals as a new venture and most of this (much like with Origin) will see the guitarists catered for first. 

When I was mucking about on the stomp I used whatever amps sounded best be they guitar or bass specific as they all have their qualities especially with the clean blending and parallel pathways

As for market forces I think for every band where the guitarist wants a Dumble style amp or a 5150 there’s likely to be a bass player standing in the shadows who’s up for trying a new floor based stomping toy in the endless ‘promised land’ tone search. 

9 hours ago, krispn said:

Yeah I guess I was thinking the bog standard Ampeg style units SVT/B15 type

But if you were thinking of doing that as a product you would look at HX stomp,  Origins analogue bassrigs,  the Ampeg SGT, with the Ampeg brand behind it and Yamaha expertise and production and maybe decide you can't win there?