Why become a member? ×

What's the deal with Harley Benton/Thomann?

neil___lien

Hello everyone,

Has anyone else noticed how a lot of Harley Benton products will only be in stock in x weeks?

I wanted a HB-35 Plus guitar & a Ukebass from them but ended up getting an Ibanez semihollow on the second hand market & am on the lookout for a solidbody ukebass to pop up used here in France, as the model i want will only be available in 10 to 13 weeks (from 8 weeks announced in June already...).

I wonder how many other sales they are missing because of those supply issues.

I also noticed that on top of Harley Benton bass ukeleles, they now have a "Thomann" brand, made in Europe line of instruments.

Does anyone know more about what's happening? Is there a problem with their factory/ies? Is this the end of Harley Benton? Are they moving production to Europe for good? 

I'd say sales numbers might be so high it would be impossible to keep up for any retailer.

Thomann has been making and selling HB for years (maybe even decades?) now. Quality has risen significantly over the last few years and so has popularity I guess.

The Thomann branded bass ukes have been on the website since 2016. Thomann use this brand name for their traditional and ethnic/folk instruments as well. No need to fear the end of HB i'd say ...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Didn't know about Thomann being also an instrument brand!

Thanks for clarifying. 

Still frustrating though to have arrival dates pushed back repetitively and so far in time. If those instruments are so popular, surely they must miss out sales in favour of the second hand market...

43 minutes ago, neil___lien said:

Didn't know about Thomann being also an instrument brand!

Thanks for clarifying. 

Still frustrating though to have arrival dates pushed back repetitively and so far in time. If those instruments are so popular, surely they must miss out sales in favour of the second hand market...

They have a popular product. They cannot instantly hire a new production line in the far east if they are in full use, and I'm sure they've done the maths to decide whether they want to fund the building of a new factory. Rapid expansion kills more companies than careful restraint. Sometimes purposely keeping supply a bit low keeps the used values up and that in turn gives the product a better reputation and makes it more desirable.

If you want one, order it and at least be in the queue.

• Like 1