Why become a member? ×

Name 10 bass players...

TimR

4 hours ago, Leonard Smalls said:

I suspect the majority would look at you blankly...

The other day I was watching a re-run of Family Fortunes (I know!!!) and the question was "Name a British Band with both male and female members".

First matey buzzed in with Take That. Next matey was asked, and said "ABBA". They had to go through a couple of family members (Destiny's Child, Spice Girls) before someone said Hear'Say... That apostrophe still appals me, btw.

Steps and S-Club7.

• Like 1

Instead of your "recall" strategy, I think it would be easier to go for a "recognition" approach and show the general public, when stopped in the street, photos of bands and ask them to identify the bass player in each. They would then go for the one they have never seen before, the one that somehow does not seem to fit in (e.g., stands in the corner, looks bored, not as flamboyant as the lead singer or lead guitarist etc). Should work well!

However, it probably won't work if you show them photos of bands with a keyboard player as these would then be the odd ones out as shown in the exhibit below 😉

n154936.jpg.ee5b1969cdbb83a2a1c0118d659f03fd.jpg

6 minutes ago, Eldon Tyrell said:

Instead of your "recall" strategy, I think it would be easier to go for a "recognition" approach and show the general public, when stopped in the street, photos of bands and ask them to identify the bass player in each. They would then go for the one they have never seen before, the one that somehow does not seem to fit in (e.g., stands in the corner, looks bored, not as flamboyant as the lead singer or lead guitarist etc). Should work well!

However, it probably won't work if you show them photos of bands with a keyboard player as these would then be the odd ones out as shown in the exhibit below 😉

I didn't even recognise the band, and after doing a reverse image search I know why. A band I had zero interest in back in the day and even less now.

I reckon there are definitely two different questions here 

1. Bass players the general public would recognise….

• Paul McCartney
  • Sting
  • Keanu Reeves
  • Jason Momoa/Aquaman/Wasn’t he in Game of Thrones?
  • …erm, that’s about it.

2. Bass players the general public would recognise and know were bass players….

• … [tumbleweed]…
  • …erm, that’s about it.
Edited by TrevorR

29 minutes ago, Eldon Tyrell said:

I’m guessing Survivor? But that’s only because of the daft hat.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, fretmeister said:

Probably only those who also sing.

Sting

McCartney

Lemmy

Mark King

But even then... would they know those people were actually bassists?

And would anyone under 40 know who Mark King is? It's all age related.

My kids are 18 and 21 and have put up with me talking about bassists for their entire lives. They are also musicians themselves, and they only knew who Sting was from his cameo in "Bee Movie".

As famous as The Beatles /  McCartney is we have to remember this from 2015:

McCartney Kanye.png

People are still falling for that? Wow. 

An update on bass player recognition from my other half. I received a text, later in the day, saying that she'd remembered some names (I did rather put her on the spot originally). She recalled Danny Thompson (although she referred to him as Richard Thompson's brother, which he isn't, but fair play, that one is niche); Chris from Thunder (Chris Childs); John Deacon and Guy Pratt. All very impressive, but she also named Andy Summers and Roger Taylor :facepalm::lol:.

Lady Ez just asked who played bass with Suzi Quatro, I had to refrain from facepalming. That said, she did then mention Haim and the queen of bassface, Este. 

The name Ronnie Wood was just shouted across the kitchen, whilst Beck Bogert & Appice were playing on the radio. Technically, she’s correct, given Woody’s role in the Jeff Beck Group. Synchronicity at work.

Edited by ezbass