Why become a member? ×

Name 10 bass players...

TimR

Just now, Beer of the Bass said:

How old is this person we're stopping? If they're under 30, I reckon Davie504 might make an appearance, and probably one or two who almost no-one on basschat has heard of.

I'm think like Pointless. Stop 100 people and see what they say. 

So far Paul McCartney, Mark King, Sting and John Taylor are high on the list of recognisable bass players. 

Just asked my son. He can’t name a single bass player and has never heard of Mark King or John Taylor.

Hang on a minute… he just said Sting. He knows Macca, likes the Beatles but didn’t know he plays bass.

He could name 10 rappers and 10 DJs but I’ve not heard of half of them. 

Edited by tegs07

20 minutes ago, TimR said:

28% of people in the UK play a musical instrument. 

40% of them play guitar.

I suspect there are a few more people that can name various musicians than we think. 

I look forward to the results of the survey that you will be holding in your nearest town centre this weekend. I hope it's not raining, but best take an umbrella with you, just in case.

Just now, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Didn’t go well. Sting and Suzi Q, the. She started guessing; Rick Parfitt, Francis Rossi, Andrea Corr 🤷‍♂️

I think it’s been conclusively proven that even the wives and offspring of bassist don’t know or particularly care about bass.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, tegs07 said:

I think it’s been conclusively proven that even the wives and offspring of bassist don’t know or particularly care about bass.

There does seem to be an element of them figuratively putting their fingers in their ears and going, “La, la, la!”

• Like 1

I asked Mrs V:

Chris Squire 

Rex Brown

Lemmy

Geddy Lee

Flea

Nate "from the Foos"

Paul McCartney 

Peter Steele

Geezer Butler

John Paul Jones

The first four came to her straight away, the rest took a bit of thought.

She did say me but I told her that wasn't allowed.

so, I was in the pub tonight with my partner and two friends, "how many bass players can you name" I asked, John Deacon came the reply from my partner, who is a Queen fan, Phil Lynott was the other reply from my mate who likes his prog rock but couldn't remember the Genesis bass player, bit depressing eh?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, upside downer said:

I look forward to the results of the survey that you will be holding in your nearest town centre this weekend. I hope it's not raining, but best take an umbrella with you, just in case.

Might just do a Facebook poll of my friends.

I just asked The Wife "If I Was to ask you to name 10 bass players, would you be able to?"

The Wife : "No"

Me : 5?

Me : 2?

Me : 1?

The Wife : "You"

Me : Famous bass players?

Mark

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I did try a little extra prompting with Mrs Zero. "Beatles bass player? He got mentioned at the open mic night last night about ten times [1]." "Paul McCartney". "Thin Lizzy?" (she's a Thin Lizzy fan) "Phil Lynott". "Motorhead?" (she's not a Motorhead fan) "Lemmy". And I supplied the answers John Paul Jones, John Entwistle, and Geezer Butler for three other bands that she's a fan of, because she couldn't remember them.

[1] It's a standing joke to say that any song is written by Paul McCartney

Chris Squier

Paul McCartney

Geddy Lee

Mark King

Jeff Berlin

Alphonso Johnson

Stanley Clarke

John Taylor

Pete Way

Steve Harris

John Wetton

Mo Foster

Roger Glover

Pino Palladino

Geezer Butler

Gary Thain

Burke Shelley

Lee Sklar

John Entwistle

Bill Wyman

...that's my ten.

My wife: that bloke with long hair.......erm, Steve..

Me: what's his surname 

Wife:erm,  Harris

I dragged her to British Lion 8 years ago and waited in queue for 2 hours to get a selfie and signature.

My Mrs said:

Bootsy

Jamaaladeen 

Him off of the Chilli Peppers

Stanley Clarke 

She's obviously not been going "lalalala" when I blather on!

Then she remembered Brian May (though she quickly realised he plays fake bass) and Bill Wyman...

And the matey who makes the cheese in Blur.

Then she said Jaco Pastorius (due to being subjected to a cd of his in the car) and Derek Smalls.

8 hours ago, TimR said:

Might just do a Facebook poll of my friends.

That's not stopping randomers in the street though, is it, as per your original post? Go on, the weather forecast is good (well, better) for tomorrow. Get some fresh air and feel exasperated as the general public prove their ignorance about the legends of the low end!

17 minutes ago, upside downer said:

That's not stopping randomers in the street though, is it, as per your original post? Go on, the weather forecast is good (well, better) for tomorrow. Get some fresh air and feel exasperated as the general public prove their ignorance about the legends of the low end!

Probably not. I suppose I have quite a few friends who are in bands so maybe I should discount their answers. It would still be a fairly 'random' selection.