Why become a member? ×

Name 10 bass players...

TimR

Surely the clue here is . the "General Public", All the above  answers are all from people in the know.  As I eluded to before, ask anyone in the street and I reckon the best youll get is either Sting or Macca... and Im not even convinced about those two. The "Public" havent a  clue when it comes to bass and I dont blame them, its not important.

• Like 1

My girlfriend managed to name ten bass players well within 5 minutes and without needing to include me.

Some (mostly from 90s nu-metal bands) were people I didn't know my name and had to check to make sure they actually were bass players!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

My girlfriend managed to name ten bass players well within 5 minutes and without needing to include me.

But surely being with and knowing you, she is not what one might describe in this context as "General Public"

5 minutes ago, diskwave said:

But surely being with and knowing you, she is not what one might describe in this context as "General Public"

But compared with how poorly some other members partners have done previously in this thread, that's pretty good. Especially considering that she knew the names of several bass players that I didn't.

6 minutes ago, upside downer said:

You don't seem very committed to following this all the way through, which is a shame. Come on, what else are you going to do this weekend? Food shopping? Gardening? Actually playing bass?

I have 2 10mile runs to do one Saturday and one Sunday, and a bass cab to pick up Sunday Afternoon. And a shed that needs felting. Although that's a job that may have to wait for better weather. 😂

23 minutes ago, upside downer said:

You don't seem very committed to following this all the way through, which is a shame. Come on, what else are you going to do this weekend? Food shopping? Gardening? Shed felting?

FTFY :hi:

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Frank Blank said:

I knew a bloke who got 18 months for shed felting, mind you, he didn't have the proper paperwork.

Shed felting without proper paperwork is nearly as serious as fettling a gazebo with undue care and attention. You can’t escape the long arm of the dibble in these matters. Now for something completely pointless. Famous bassists you say? Not arf.

Edited by tegs07
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, TimR said:

And a shed that needs felting.

You could ask the public during the survey, "Where can I get felt?"  Make a careful note of the answers.

Serious tip - put the new felt over the top of the old felt. Don't bother stripping it off.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, upside downer said:

I don't know how much paperwork you need for shed felching. Probably a lot. It's health and safety gone mad.

Shed 7's bassist is Tom Gladwin. Not many members of the public know that.

I doubt many members of the general public know who Shed 7 are. On that note I was on a bus a while back and sat next to someone wearing a Joy Division T Shirt. Great band said I. Blank and confused look later… Joy Division I said. A band? said my monosyllabic passenger.

We didn’t discuss Hooky.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 26/09/2024 at 10:00, Doctor J said:

I'd wager most of the general public wouldn't know what a bass guitar looks like, never mind the owner of the fingers playing it.

this exactly :)

obviously the wrong place to ask this question, a very biased and presumptuous environment :)

36 minutes ago, tegs07 said:

Shed felting without proper paperwork is nearly as serious as fettling a gazebo with undue care and attention. You can’t escape the long arm of the dibble in these matters. Now for something completely pointless. Famous bassists you say? Not arf.

Felting a gazebo? This is Wantage not Rio Didgeridoo! Good grief man.

28 minutes ago, upside downer said:

I don't know how much paperwork you need for shed felching. Probably a lot. It's health and safety gone mad.

That was the case until the 2021 financing report that recommended, and I quote, Eels. Since then it’s been just the one form D27/3b - Application to Felch a Shed in an Uncontrolled Area.

28 minutes ago, upside downer said:

Shed 7's bassist is Tom Gladwin. Not many members of the public know that.

My dog knew that one and I don’t have a dog.

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, pete.young said:

You could ask the public during the survey, "Where can I get felt?"  Make a careful note of the answers.

First class advice.

27 minutes ago, pete.young said:

Serious tip - put the new felt over the top of the old felt. Don't bother stripping it off.

Textbook. @pete.young is clearly a force to be reckoned with when it comes to shed felting 👍

15 minutes ago, Frank Blank said:

Felting a gazebo? This is Wantage not Rio Didgeridoo! Good grief man.

Fettling Mr Blank. Felting a gazebo. What kind of madness is this. This is a sensible topic, for sensible people.

3 hours ago, diskwave said:

Surely the clue here is . the "General Public", All the above  answers are all from people in the know.  As I eluded to before, ask anyone in the street and I reckon the best youll get is either Sting or Macca... and Im not even convinced about those two. The "Public" havent a  clue when it comes to bass and I dont blame them, its not important.

Since we're being pedantic, I'd suggest the word is "alluded". 🙂

47 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

Or what..? I'll get my collar felt..? :on_the_quiet:

Collar felt is absolutely useless for use on a shed roof. Ms Twelvetrees can supply the list of appropriate felts, along with the requisite forms for felting.