Why become a member? ×

Narrow Rack Case

nightsun

Hoping someone has an idea about this as I've looked everywhere and come to nothing.

I'm after a narrow rack case to house 2 x GK MB800 amps, can I find narrow rack cases online, can I hell.

Needs to be narrow as the case will be sitting on the top of an RS210 when out live.

Help me Obi-Wan, you're my only hope.

Are you looking for something narrow front to back or width ways? 

If you're for something narrow front to back try searching online for 'shallow rack'. I think Thomann sell some half width rack cases if that's what you're after. 

I'm curious why... the advantage of racks is that they allow multiple pieces of equipment to remain permanently wired - but that doesn't apply in your situation.

As mentioned above, racks are 19" or half racks are 9.5" (your amp is 10.75" I think) The problem isn't just finding a 12" (or whatever) rack though, but also the right-sized ears or shelving you'll need to hold the amps in.

I guess you want removable lids - but could something like this work?  https://www.thomann.co.uk/casefactory_lid_economy.html  You can spec the size, but you'd still need something to hold the amps down.

Whatever you end up with, remember to leave ventilation space and/or cutouts for the fans.

55 minutes ago, jrixn1 said:

I'm curious why... the advantage of racks is that they allow multiple pieces of equipment to remain permanently wired - but that doesn't apply in your situation.

As mentioned above, racks are 19" or half racks are 9.5" (your amp is 10.75" I think) The problem isn't just finding a 12" (or whatever) rack though, but also the right-sized ears or shelving you'll need to hold the amps in.

I guess you want removable lids - but could something like this work?  https://www.thomann.co.uk/casefactory_lid_economy.html  You can spec the size, but you'd still need something to hold the amps down.

Whatever you end up with, remember to leave ventilation space and/or cutouts for the fans.

Cheers, all taken into account.  I may not bother, balancing a 19" rack on an RS210 is asking for trouble.  I may just build my own enclosure.

22 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

Looking at the manual for this amp it appears to be exactly 1U high and requires 4" either side for ventilation which means it may have been designed to fit into a standard 19" rack case.

Were rack ears ever available for it?

Cheers, all taken into account.  I may not bother, balancing a 19" rack on an RS210 is asking for trouble.  I may just build my own enclosure.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, nightsun said:

If you make a narrower enclosure you will need to put adequate ventilation grills both sides and the back. Take a look at the owners manual for you amp.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, BigRedX said:

Are you intending to run both amps at the same time or is the second simply there as quick backup should anything go wrong with the first?

If both are going to be on simultaneously you may need to increase the ventilation in the case.

Thanks, all covered now, I just needed a case source.

On 26/09/2024 at 12:38, BigRedX said:

Looking at the manual for this amp it appears to be exactly 1U high and requires 4" either side for ventilation which means it may have been designed to fit into a standard 19" rack case.

Were rack ears ever available for it?

https://www.gallien-krueger.com/products/rack-kit-mb500-mb-800-mb-fusion-500-800

Bargain for 2 bits of bent plate and 4 screws.