Why become a member? ×

Mini bass tips please?

maxr

I've just switching over to two 24" and 25" scale fretted and fretless acoustic mini basses. They'll both be strung with metal wound polymer core strings, rather than the fat rubbery ones fitted to some. I'm a 6' tall bloke with normal size hands. I'll be playing mostly with low volume acoustic folk bands, and I have a little Roland amp that should do the job.

Any tips for fingering or playing these mini size basses please?

I have a few short-scale rubber string basses. I find playing them with the left hand in the same sort of position as you'd play a violin in (fingers pointing along the strings) is easier than the approved across-the-strings left hand position that you'd use for a full scale bass.

I’ve been using a Taylor GS Mini and also an Ibanez PNB14E, both of which are around the scale

length of yours by the sound of it.

Loved them both, and the string choice you have is probably either the D’Addario XTB3790GS 

set ( designed for the Taylor ) or maybe the Martin M4750 set. I use the D’Addarios and they are

fine, lasting quite a long time and intonate pretty well. Haven’t tried the Martins yet.

From my experience basses this short a scale can be a slight compromise in terms of playing

comfort and intonation, but are much better than bass ukes with their rubbery strings. They

are best not set with too low an action, and likewise sound better when not played too 

hard - I’ve found a softer approach ( I play finger style ) gives best results. Making sure you

can hear what you’re doing is also important to stop you doing this, just like an upright really.

I use mine with a Fender Rumble 100 combo which I find ideal for the small gigs I play with

an acoustic duo. 

I play a 25" scale Precision copy, and I hadn't really considered different hand positions or finger techniques at all. I just play the same as when I play my 34" scale Precision. They both work just the same for me. But I love playing the little 25" scale bass, it's total fun 👍