Why become a member? ×

Greatest Bassline of 1982

12 minutes ago, Leonard Smalls said:

Kid's stuff!

:biggrin:

This came out in 1982 - my funky blues band are working on a version at the moment, which is quite fun!

Yes, I was a kid in 82 and not into Jazz. Now, I am an adult and, well, still not into Jazz 😁

• Haha 3

If you want to stick to just 1982 these are all superior (and more memorable) bass lines than the one in the OP:

Squashed Things In The Road by The Dancing Did

Somewhere by Danse Society

Life In Tokyo and Quiet Life by Japan (in fact everything off the Quiet Life album)

Steppin' Out by Joe Jackson

She's In Parties by Bauhaus

12 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

If you want to stick to just 1982 these are all superior (and more memorable) bass lines than the one in the OP - in my opinion:

Life In Tokyo and Quiet Life by Japan (in fact everything off the Quiet Life album)

FTFY 😎

Not a fan of Duran Duran, but then not much more of a fan of the band I will suggest had a much more iconic bassline in 1982 - The Jam, Town Called Malice. 

Edited by Mykesbass
Autocorrect - wrong bassline...

1 hour ago, Eldon Tyrell said:

Yes, I was a kid in 82 and not into Jazz. Now, I am an adult and, well, still not into Jazz 😁

Ok, while watching the interview with Freddie Washington (BTW, I did not have Freddie on my radar, but he has a great groove and comes across as a super nice and cool dude), he was playing this song he played bass on for Herbie Hancock. Ok, it is from 1980 and not super complex, but I really like the groove and is on a Jazz album, so, I guess, I should check out more Jazz. Maybe I am old enough now 😉

1 hour ago, Eldon Tyrell said:

Ok, I have to admit, this IS a great bassline and probably one of the best, maybe even the best "slap" bassline of 1982 🙂 

BTW, in the interview, Freddie mentions that he came up withe the bassline while practicing. Maybe I should practice more 😉

He also mentioned that the whole song is built around the bassline (and there is no guitar). Cool stuff. 

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, wateroftyne said:

This ⬆️ absolute monster 👍

Also "It's My Life" by Talk Talk, even on crappy laptop speakers or on a site radio you can still follow the bassline. Absolutely beautiful bass line 👍

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

If you want to stick to just 1982 these are all superior (and more memorable) bass lines than the one in the OP:

I'm a huge fan of Mick Karn, but, hélas, Japan didn't release anything in 1982 as it was the beginning of the end, Quiet Life was released in 1979...

She's in Parties as good as it is was released in 1983.

😉😉😉😉

29 minutes ago, meterman said:

This ⬆️ absolute monster 👍

Also "It's My Life" by Talk Talk, even on crappy laptop speakers or on a site radio you can still follow the bassline. Absolutely beautiful bass line 👍

From ... 1980, not 1982. Nothing from The Talking Heads in 1982.

10 minutes ago, Hellzero said:

From ... 1980, not 1982. Nothing from The Talking Heads in 1982.

Oh bugger. The Talk Talk track "It's My Life" probably isn't from 1982 either. 

I'd still take either of them over Duran Duran though. Oh, and a Curly Wurly and some superglue as well, please. 🙏 

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Leonard Smalls said:

You're never too old, or too young!

Check the Herbie Headhunters stuff if you like that...

Ok, I just finished listening to the Head Hunters album. I had heard the first song (Chameleon), did not like the Watermelon Man and Vein Melter songs much, but "Sly" is KILLER 🤩

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Hellzero said:

I'm a huge fan of Mick Karn, but, hélas, Japan didn't release anything in 1982 as it was the beginning of the end, Quiet Life was released in 1979...

😉😉😉😉

Nightporter remix was released in 1982 and got in the charts.

46 minutes ago, Hellzero said:

😉😉😉😉

That's the data base that iTunes uses to get its ID3 tags lying to us again. 

And "Squashed Things On The Road" was originally the B-Side of their 1980 single "The Haunted Tearooms" although IIRC the version on the album which did come out in 1982 was a new recording.

• Like 1

Prince released the album “1999” in 1982. And while thumbs were flying all over the place in the 80s we have the track from that album called “Lady Cab Driver” with its wonderful sparse slap bassline, played by Prince. Funk. Proper.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Nightporter remix was released in 1982 and got in the charts.

You can also add the single I second that Emotion remixed by Giorgio Moroder that same year, but none of these are from 1982.

There are tons of remixes of everything, probably one for each year, but don't get mismatched...

Edited by Hellzero

3 hours ago, Mykesbass said:

Not a fan of Duran Duran, but then not much more of a fan of the band I will suggest had a much more iconic baseline in 1982 - The Jam, Town Called Malice. 

48 minutes ago, NAS Bass said:

A 1982 greatest bass line list isn't complete without one of the most over played/covered/'tributed' (often badly) songs. Why are there so many Jam tributes??