Why become a member? ×

Greatest Bassline of 1982

1 hour ago, NAS Bass said:

A 1982 greatest bass line list isn't complete without one of the most over played/covered/'tributed' (often badly) songs. Why are there so many Jam tributes??

Nice, getting strong Motown vibes. Sounds somehow familiar. 

23 minutes ago, Munurmunuh said:

Relieved to see that Phil Collins' cover, also of 1982, was recorded well after the Jam's release

Bruce Foxton was quite open about the influence: "My older brother Derek had been an original mod, and was always playing Motown stuff. He had a Four Tops album on a reel-to-reel, which was a tape you could record over. So when I was learning guitar, I actually taped myself playing over Walk Away Renee. Derek was really annoyed! But all this goes in, subconsciously, and I rediscovered it through Paul. The Malice bassline is very similar to You Can't Hurry Love by the Supremes, but it worked. When we hit that groove, you couldn't stop your foot tapping."

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2012/nov/12/how-we-made-town-malice 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, pst62 said:

Yes, finally someones mentions Rush. Always impressed by Geddy playing bass, keys, synth and singing!

I also like the little Spinal Tap reference 🙂 

Edited by Eldon Tyrell
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, lowdown said:

Sandy Anderson's Bass line on this 1982 Odyssey track has always intrigued me. He seems to use a lot of variation while keeping the general vibe going.

Nice, but it somehow reminded me of another song, but had to google it this time, tbh:

Edited by Eldon Tyrell

2 hours ago, Eldon Tyrell said:

Nice, but it somehow reminded me of another song, but had to google it this time, bth:

A little morbid piece of stat busyness:

The original 'Slave' line up had eight members, and six of them have passed on (including Bassist, Mark Adams).

I believe the founding member is still alive.

More stat busyness...

The composer (Jesse Rae) of the track 'Inside Out', was Scottish and moved to the States in the mid 70's. 

He released his own version at some point.

Anyway, do carry on.

:D

Edited by lowdown

25 minutes ago, lowdown said:

Jesse Rae

I remember a review of his album in the NME saying it was the funkiest thing in the world ever ever...

I was most disappointed to find it was mostly soft poppy fluff with only the tiniest hint here and there of The Whole Funk And Nothing But The Funk!

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, lowdown said:

More stat busyness...

The composer (Jesse Rae) of the track 'Inside Out', was Scottish and moved to the States in the mid 70's. 

He released his own version at some point.

Anyway, do carry on.

:D

I prefer the original, tbh. I wanted to say something about the picture, but then I googled the guy and found out that he is still alive and living in Scotland.

So, don't want him to visit me here in Leics, esp. not in his fav outfit  😉 

Jesse_Rae0019.fba5bb30.jpg.0ac4951711d7ce7947001f0644ca7245.jpg

https://daily.redbullmusicacademy.com/2016/06/jesse-rae-interview 

• Haha 1

"Rio" is a great bass line - great fun to play; I'm just going to pop into the next room and run through it.

"Running In The Family" is another - I can't play that slap.

"Come Back And Stay" brought Pino Palladino into the limelight.

"When The Going Gets Tough" (aka. "go and get stuffed") is another.

"Two Tribes" is a just great one by Trevor Horn, helped along by the American Football craze.

But "Moving Pictures" was released in '81 and it's a whole album of great bass playing (and the rest!).

2 hours ago, prowla said:

"Rio" is a great bass line - great fun to play; I'm just going to pop into the next room and run through it.

"Running In The Family" is another - I can't play that slap.

"Come Back And Stay" brought Pino Palladino into the limelight.

"When The Going Gets Tough" (aka. "go and get stuffed") is another.

"Two Tribes" is a just great one by Trevor Horn, helped along by the American Football craze.

But "Moving Pictures" was released in '81 and it's a whole album of great bass playing (and the rest!).

Running in the Family: 1987!

Come Back and Stay: 1983!

When the Going Gets Tough: 1986!

Two Tribes: 1984!

I was a DJ for a radio broadcasting show back then, so all these tubes are very familiar to me, just like the year they were released.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hellzero said:

Running in the Family: 1987!

Come Back and Stay: 1983!

When the Going Gets Tough: 1986!

Two Tribes: 1984!

I was a DJ for a radio broadcasting show back then, so all these tubes are very familiar to me, just like the year they were released.

'scuse me: I read "the 80s" !!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hellzero said:

198 ... 1.

According to Wiki, it was written in 81 but released in 82:

"Should I Stay or Should I Go" is a song by the English punk rock band the Clash from their fifth studio album Combat Rock, written in 1981 and featuring Mick Jones on lead vocals. It was released in 1982 as a double A-sided single alongside "Straight to Hell", performing modestly on global music charts. In the United States, "Should I Stay or Should I Go" charted on the Billboard Hot 100 without reaching the top 40. The song received greater attention nearly a decade later as the result of an early-1990s Levi's jeans commercial, leading to the song's 1991 re-release, which topped the UK Singles Chart and reached the top 10 in New Zealand and many European charts. The song was listed in Rolling Stone's 500 Greatest Songs of All Time in 2004."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Should_I_Stay_or_Should_I_Go

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1