Why become a member? ×

Pre amp pedal in pedal board chain

BassBeast

Hello again.

Generally, where’s the best place for a preamp pedal to go in a chain of pedals that arrive finally at an audio interface? 

This is for home recording only so no cabs and amplifiers. 

I know there are preferences, but does it go before a compressor? 
Does it go at the end of the chain?

Where technically is the ideal spot for it? 

Thank you. 

Usually you would, most would, and I have it, as the very last thing in my signal chain.

But I suppose it does depend a bit of it's specific function in your setup, I do have a simple (that is just gain and master volume, no EQ) tube preamp as the very first thing in my chain, then the chain ending with a amp emulation/cab sim preamp pedal going into another simple tube preamp with DI.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

• 2 weeks later...

Agree with others in the "personal choice" route, or what sounds good to your own ears. I play live mostly (vs recording) and so use mine at the end of the chain for sending to FOH and dialling in an "end" tone I'm happy with while using either in-ears or amp & cab. 

Good luck experimenting 😉

Dirt before, chorus delays reverb after. Generally speaking. Live use would be different as most pre amp pedals double up as your DI so it will sit at the end of the chain. 

When I've only got one comp I'd stick it first in the chain. Just enough to even out the  output from the bass. 

As others have said.. there's no right or wrong. If it sounds good it's good. If it sounds bad it's bad.