Why become a member? ×

Small Church Install

SuperSeagull

Appreciate this forum is really about PA in a band situation but I find myself the lead person on recommending a solution for an installed PA at our small church and wanted to check some of my thinking with experts here.

We meet in a 1970s building, lots of brick wall and tiled floors but no pillars or medieval tombs to worry about! There is a part raised area at the front where speakers and musicians are – approx. 12m x 4m. From the front of the raised area to the back wall is 13m with a max width of 15m and ceiling height of 4m.

We need a system that can cope with speech, singers, an MP3 type device that is used for backing tracks and a band (drums, bass, acoustic guitar, keys and vocals). It also needs to support a proposed new TV screen system plus various community meetings during the week when one or more mics might be needed. We are short on people who are technically minded so simple operation is important. Typical attendance is between 60 and 70 on a Sunday but can peak at 100 plus. We’ve no money, every penny will have to be raised, so budget is important. We have to get three quotes, two of these will be from supply and install companies used to working in churches and the third will be from me.

First supply and install quote has come in at between £9k to £14k dependent on options. This may prove too expensive / over spec’d. Incs an A&H QU mixer, EV or Citronic passive speakers, Sennheiser or JTS wireless mics. I'd not heard of either Citronic or JTS before.

Having spent time reading this and other forums plus meeting with some folk I know who run the tech side of a larger church but who understand what is needed for a smaller set up, I’m thinking of.

1. Behringer X32 desk plus S16 stage box. Had a long discussion about whether a physical desk was needed but conclusion was it’s easier for a non tech person to operate on the fly plus recall scenes for different meeting types.

2. dB LVX active speakers. These are used in a small set up at another church and seem to be perfectly fine to me – only question is 10” or 12”? Plan to use speaker stands, at least initially to simplify the install process.

3. Behringer F122OD powered monitors, probably 2 (and can also be used as a simple portable PA on occasions outside or elsewhere on the premises)

4. Sennheiser XSW 2-ME3 headset mics, I’m still confused about which band I need.

5. Sennheiser XSW 2-835 handheld wireless mic.

6. Sennheiser E835S mics for vocalists.

Plus all the sundries – cables, stands, rack case, DI boxes etc and a tablet for remote mixing.

I’ve not included a sub but think that might be something that should be added and I’m wondering if there is a more cost effective solution for the wireless mics.

I reckon I could source all of this for around £6k and that install would not be difficult (although there is a hearing loop amp system that needs plumbing in). With the saving on the cheapest other quote we could pay for all the new TV screens and ancillary bits.

How does that look? What am I missing or not considering?

Thanks.