Why become a member? ×

Keeping the punters at bay

1 hour ago, Frank Blank said:

No competition, Deltic all the way.

It's not really that clear cut. Both are magnificent examples of their time. Obviously the diesels superceded steam, for good reason, but the 9F was, perhaps, the pinnacle of Britsh steam locomotives.

PS: I have driven a 9F, so I might be biased.

6 minutes ago, skidder652003 said:

wedge monitors deffo help but I've had a few p1ss3d up idiots tumble over them when the dancing gets too crazed.

You can't stop that. You can just try to create some kind of area that most people can see is the line between the dance floor and the stage area. If the majority stay that side its fairly self policing. No line and no one really knows where the line is. 

Even a line of Gaffa Tape would help. 

55 minutes ago, Count Bassy said:

It's not really that clear cut. Both are magnificent examples of their time. Obviously the diesels superceded steam, for good reason, but the 9F was, perhaps, the pinnacle of Britsh steam locomotives.

PS: I have driven a 9F, so I might be biased.

I am an outlier when it comes to railway enthusiasts as in I am ambivalent about steam, always have been since I became a railway enthusiast aged about nine. I'd be more interested in a Class 08 shunter than any of the great steam locomotives, horses for courses innit.

3 hours ago, Frank Blank said:

I am an outlier when it comes to railway enthusiasts as in I am ambivalent about steam, always have been since I became a railway enthusiast aged about nine. I'd be more interested in a Class 08 shunter than any of the great steam locomotives, horses for courses innit.

The Class 08/09 is also a classic.

3 hours ago, Bassfinger said:

In size and appearance I resemble a viking. A bit of a growl and they soon back off. Just as well because I'm a pussy...who just happens to look like a berserker.

Makes sense, no one sane wants to take on a berserker

• Like 1

I only remember ever having had it twice, once was at a pub gig where the band were set up in a corner. Some písśed up idiot came up beside me (I was playing drums) and started randomly hitting my cymbals with his hands for a laugh in front of his mates. He didn’t do it for long because first I whipped the back of his hand at full pelt with a drumstick, then when it looked like he was going to get ársey I whipped him across the face with a drumstick and gave him a look and luckily for me, he scuttled off. Him and his mates could have easily battered me but it didn’t happen, thankfully.

Other time was on a stage and we had a few drunken but fairly harmless idiots trying to climb onstage. The stage was fairly high for a ballroom and so it was easy to see them trying to climb up. I’d just put a foot on their shoulder and give them a gentle shove back into the audience. That was again in the late 80’s when I had a load of vintage guitar gear onstage with me, probably near £15,000’s worth today. I wouldn’t take posh gear out on gigs if I was still playing live today.

After that I rarely played gigs without stages, and often with a row of monitors at the front, and rarely had any bother from punters. (Apart from them shouting at me to “get off, you’re śhït” 😂)

Load out time is a different story though...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Leonard Smalls said:

But what about the romance of steam?

I do, however, know someone who owns a Deltic! This same person also owns an Ampex 2" video machine...

Really? I would have thought it would have had an eight track.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Dan Dare said:

Now that is a serious toy. Which one?

No idea! All I know is it's a big one and he keeps it at some railway museum re-enactment playground sort of thing.

I do remember working with him once and he rang his mum to ask her to record Eastenders on his 2". Which I found rather impressive as a) it was seriously enormous and b) required a complex line-up procedure to get going. You can see how worrying a bit of kit it was, but he'd got his mum running it happily!

VR-2000B-1.jpg

1 hour ago, Leonard Smalls said:

No idea! All I know is it's a big one and he keeps it at some railway museum re-enactment playground sort of thing.

I do remember working with him once and he rang his mum to ask her to record Eastenders on his 2". Which I found rather impressive as a) it was seriously enormous and b) required a complex line-up procedure to get going. You can see how worrying a bit of kit it was, but he'd got his mum running it happily!

Jeremy Hosking? He owns two Deltics and one pf them is in a museum on the site of the old Hornby factory in Margate.