Why become a member? ×

Keeping the punters at bay

A rope light is relatively cheap and easy to use. People tend to not want to step over one of those. One of the guitarists uses in-ears and he has emptied a broken wedge monitor to make some kind of case to carry stuff to gigs and use as an "idiot barrier" on stage. There's one venue we play, the Crooked Crow Bar in Leighton Buzzard, where the security staff are very quick to stop people trying to put drinks, coats or bags down on the stage, they are awesome. It does not happen anywhere else that I've played, sadly. 

On 30/09/2024 at 18:14, skidder652003 said:

wedge monitors deffo help but I've had a few p1ss3d up idiots tumble over them when the dancing gets too crazed.

Wedge monitors with hi-viz hazard tape on the top edge works for us.

As for the encroaching dancer/mic stand conjunction, a gentle headstock in the back tends to get their attention while still being able to play

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Norris said:

As for the encroaching dancer/mic stand conjunction, a gentle headstock in the back tends to get their attention while still being able to play

This was my preferred method for keeping drunks at bay at posh weddings when I was in a

function band. Standard Fender bass headstock worked fine, although I seem to remember that

my Squier Katana with pointed headstock was maybe even more effective, if a touch brutal. 😆

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 30/09/2024 at 19:06, Frank Blank said:

I am an outlier when it comes to railway enthusiasts as in I am ambivalent about steam, always have been since I became a railway enthusiast aged about nine. I'd be more interested in a Class 08 shunter than any of the great steam locomotives, horses for courses innit.

I regularly drive past a scrap steel smelting plant, the rail yard adjacent usually has three or four different 08s in an array of different contractor colour schemes.

• Like 1