Why become a member? ×

Simple valve preamp

JoeEvans

I used an ART Tube MP preamp with my double bass, along with a clip-on mic. I tried various set-ups and I felt that the ART added a subtle warmth and presence to the sound.

So now I'm thinking, maybe a valve preamp pedal / DI for use with bass guitar? Can anyone recommend a simple pedal for a warm, rich, more or less clean sound? Basic EQ will do fine. DI out needed.

I’m selling a JHS Coulour box(v.2) which has transformers on the input and the DI output (as well as great semi parametric eq options for an upright)! It’s also got combo inputs/outputs for mic or 1/4”. 

Often transformers are a much sought after piece of the signal chain. Some of the warmth which folks are after isn’t always from a valve pre in a pedal and there are a few considerations  such as is it running at the correct plate voltage etc. 

I have a couple of transformers in my signal chain and a tube preamp so the colourbox is surplus now. Shameless plug but Janek Gwizdala recently added one to his live rig as his touring DI. 

This is for sale too (not by me) and might be a good fit for what you’re after. 

Edited by krispn
Link
  • Like 3

17 hours ago, krispn said:

Often transformers are a much sought after piece of the signal chain.

I agree, Sushi Box FX website says - "Finally v2 is equipped with an Unagi Magnetics E4305 D.I. transformer, which was custom-made to Sushi Box’s spec and has an extremely wide frequency response and excellent sensitivity to playing. It was designed specifically for use with tube preamps and was designed with bass in mind, giving a full-range flat response down to 10Hz."

46 minutes ago, baldwinbass said:

I agree, Sushi Box FX website says - "Finally v2 is equipped with an Unagi Magnetics E4305 D.I. transformer, which was custom-made to Sushi Box’s spec and has an extremely wide frequency response and excellent sensitivity to playing. It was designed specifically for use with tube preamps and was designed with bass in mind, giving a full-range flat response down to 10Hz."

That was the reason I bought the JHS Colourbox. I had a tube DI and was using that as my FOH sound but wanted some eq options too. It made sense to grab a unit which worked beautifully on bass (which it does) and I really wanted that flexible EQ as I do have some preferences of where I like my jazz bass eq’d but also to dial out any resonances etc. if the room was being troublesome.

Very soon after I got that set up the chance to buy a “dream preamp” came up hence the sale. If I hadn’t nabbed that pre I’d be keeping it. 

• Like 1