Why become a member? ×

Any questions for Gail Ann Dorsey?

BassAgent

Next Thursday, I'll be interviewing the amazing Gail Ann Dorsey for my bass player's podcast. Of course I have some stuff I want to ask her about, but maybe you guys also have some questions for this giant :) And while you're at it, feel free to check out other episodes of the podcast. Many are in Dutch, but the English episodes are: Henrik Linder, Brady Watt, Renaud Garcia Fons, Adam Ben Ezra, Martin Méndez, Joe Dart, James Genus, Kinga Glyk, Tal Wilkenfeld, Pino Palladino, Damian Erskine, Dale Davis, Tim Lefebvre, Stu Brooks, Michael League, John Stirratt, Jeff Berlin and Jeroen Paul Thesseling.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Munurmunuh said:

Anything she has to say about the genesis of I Would Be Your Slave, or what it was like performing it, would be interesting to hear

I Would Be Your Slave is not a song she was involved in. She did play with Bowie on the supporting tour (as clearly seen in the video above). It is one of my favourite Bowie albums, though.

I have noticed that when Gail played Bowie songs live, her basslines didn't slavishly follow the original line on the records (after all she wasn't in a Bowie tribute band). I wondered if Bowie ever noticed, or commented on her particular version of the bassline on his songs, or did he give her carte blanche to play however she wanted?

I suspect Lenny Kravitz was a bit of a control freak when she played with him. 

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, BassAgent said:

I Would Be Your Slave is not a song she was involved in. She did play with Bowie on the supporting tour (as clearly seen in the video above). It is one of my favourite Bowie albums, though.

Oh well, the second half of the question remains, given how Bowie performed it with her. It's like a staged scene, Bowie playing one character, the bass line the other. 

• Like 1

I can't think of a question as such, but I would just like to say that Gail Ann Dorsey's first solo record, The Corporate World, that came out in 1988 was (and still is) one of the best bass albums of the 1980's. Her playing on that record is magnificent from start to finish. Inventive, clever, energetic and always tasteful. She's a gifted player, and a talented songwriter, too. I strongly recommend giving that album a listen if you haven't heard it yet.

I'm a fan since I saw her on The Tube singing a Bobby Womack song and accompanying herself on the bass. I've always rated her, and it's not surprising she's gone on to have such an illustrious career.

Edited by Misdee
  • Like 4

8 hours ago, Bagman said:

Can you please ask her about her MTD Grendel basses? 

I’d be particularly interested in this as well. I’ve always rated very highly the MTD Grendel’s and she was a pretty rare endorsee for a time.

In the SBL interview she did a while ago she was asked to name some bassists that influenced her and she mostly named session players, did that influence her wanting to become a session player? Who are the bassists in bands that she likes?

Aaaand.......can you please ask this one. It seems a bit ridiculous, but I really want to know the answer. In 'Magical', there's a line about Bowie being dressed to kill.......did she ever just see him chilling in some old tracksuit bottoms and a t shirt with a hole in it, or was he always dressed to the nines?

• 3 weeks later...