Why become a member? ×

Lazy journalism about bass players/playing

Nail Soup

I read on-line descriptions of two bass players in the last week or two which really grated on me. They didn't relate to the bass players in question whatsoever, just seemed to use generic terms they had heard someone use about bass players before.

Example 1: Sting. The Journo said that Stings bass playing "filled out the sound of the Police". No it didn't - he had an economic style designed to preserve the space in the Police sound.

Example 2: Brian Ritchie of The Violent Femmes: The Journo said "and Brian Ritchie's bass playing keeps the group grounded". No it doesn't - his playing is very flamboyant, over-the-top and busy etc.

Grr! Got any examples which grind your gears?

Many years ago I had a chat with Martin Ace, the long-time bass player for the Welsh band Man. He said, “if you’re bothered about being under-appreciated, overlooked or misunderstood, you’ve probably chosen the wrong instrument “.

• Like 7
  • Haha 5

9 hours ago, Gasman said:

I wouldn't be surprised if the 'journos' producing the drivel above were actually using Chat-GPT to generate their articles... it's already happening elsewhere!

Yep - Quill and Wordsmith are increasingly being used in sports reporting and financial reporting.  It wouldn't surprise me to see it elsewhere.

3 minutes ago, Bassfinger said:

Most journalism is lazy.

It's not necessarily laziness, but a sad reality of modern journalism. Some Journos are expected to churn out multiple articles a day if they want to make a meaningful wage, and it's just become a race to the bottom. That's why you see so many "advertorials"; Journos can just take "articles" prewritten by PR agencies that are just glorified adverts for Thomas Cook ("Scientists prove January is the most depressing time of the year  [so you should book a holiday with TC]") or Virgin Money or whoever, and just send it to the publishers with their name on it. 

• Like 6