Why become a member? ×

EBay no fees

Could this smash the second hand market for instruments?

Apparently eBay is slashing fee to 0. Quite how this makes economic sense I have no idea, but you’d expect sellers to now reduce prices to that without fees.

I know I have…

Interesting to see what happens.

Is that just the listing fee or are they not charging their commission as well now (can't see that happening, but who knows?).

EDIT: Looks like it is gratis (up to 300 lists per month)

Edited by ezbass

full story here in everybody's favourite newspaper 😐https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/smallbusiness/article-13895233/Ebay-cutting-selling-fees-nearly-categories-does-compare-Vinted-Depop.html?ico=mol_desktop_money-newtab&molReferrerUrl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.dailymail.co.uk%2Fmoney%2Findex.html

although some of the article it doesn't make sense, but basically, private sellers is free, presumably they'll still make profit of paypal 

Edited by PaulWarning

53 minutes ago, SH73 said:

Screenshot_20241001-164608.png

Screenshot_20241001-164600.png

Always read the small print! 

I asked someone who knows about these things and apparently they make much more money from business sellers. In time he believes eBay will attempt to become more like Amazon. 

Makes sense.

I’ve just reduced the price on two items so there’s parity with BC.

I got this today too, my first thought was that it was great but then I can't really remember the last time I sold anything on eBay anyway. It's already just another AliExpress.

Its an interesting move.

I won't use eBay because of their buyer-biased policies making it mostly impossible to list with confidence anything that isn't As New, but this does at least make it somewhat viable to sell more expensive stuff on there.

I got excited for five minutes until realising that there is a 4% fee of any reserve price, charged at time of listing. So if you don't want something to go for less than £100 you have to pay £4 at time of listing etc. You also have to pay for getting the advert promoted, and the cynic makes me think that if you don't pay no one will ever see it especially if it's a popular item. Still quite a bit cheaper than before I guess so maybe it will bring people like me back - I don't mind the security of buying through ebay but selling has been too expensive for the last few years.

3 hours ago, PaulWarning said:

although some of the article it doesn't make sense, but basically, private sellers is free, presumably they'll still make profit of paypal

I think they divested Paypal some years ago. Ah, here we are: https://www.marketingscoop.com/small-business/does-ebay-own-paypal/

Which is why Paypal is no longer the default payment option - payments are direct through Ebay.

Like @PaulWarning, I've waited for 80% off weekends to sell stuff, so it's nice not to have to do that any more. And for a while Ebay owned Gumtree so they've managed to cope with a free listing site in the past. However, this might explain why, when I bought a motorcycle TPMS earlier today, the order completed page that comes up after making the payment had a "You might like to buy this too" advert for a battery charger.

I think now that eBay make payments directly to your bank account ‘on request’, they’re hoping that people who sell items will leave the money in their ebay account (to pay for postage etc) then keep it there to buy from business sellers instead of shopping elsewhere. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, SimonK said:

I got excited for five minutes until realising that there is a 4% fee of any reserve price, charged at time of listing. So if you don't want something to go for less than £100 you have to pay £4 at time of listing etc. You also have to pay for getting the advert promoted, and the cynic makes me think that if you don't pay no one will ever see it especially if it's a popular item. Still quite a bit cheaper than before I guess so maybe it will bring people like me back - I don't mind the security of buying through ebay but selling has been too expensive for the last few years.

Set a starting price of £100 if you don't want it to go for less than £100.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ped said:

I think now that eBay make payments directly to your bank account ‘on request’, they’re hoping that people who sell items will leave the money in their ebay account (to pay for postage etc) then keep it there to buy from business sellers instead of shopping elsewhere. 

...that could be it.

• Like 1

If i was selling on Ebay nowadays i would certainly be concerned about the little bit that says..Quote "Payment holds may apply" and worryingly i've read through the  garb and i can't see any mention of the finer details of when they may apply this Payment Hold so people will have to draw their own conclusions as to what this may entail.

Introducing eBay Balance

From 16 October 2024, we’re introducing eBay balance, a new way to use your funds after you sell. You’ll be able to use your funds to shop directly on eBay or pay for things such as delivery labels, promote your listings, or to cover any selling needs.
Alternatively, you can withdraw available funds from your balance to your bank account - payment holds may apply. As your funds will be stored in your eBay balance, daily, weekly, bi-weekly, and monthly payout schedules will no longer be offered.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Mickyk said:

If i was selling on Ebay nowadays i would certainly be concerned about the little bit that says..Quote "Payment holds may apply" and worryingly i've read through the  garb and i can't see any mention of the finer details of when they may apply this Payment Hold so people will have to draw their own conclusions as to what this may entail.

Introducing eBay Balance

From 16 October 2024, we’re introducing eBay balance, a new way to use your funds after you sell. You’ll be able to use your funds to shop directly on eBay or pay for things such as delivery labels, promote your listings, or to cover any selling needs.
Alternatively, you can withdraw available funds from your balance to your bank account - payment holds may apply. As your funds will be stored in your eBay balance, daily, weekly, bi-weekly, and monthly payout schedules will no longer be offered.

Probably just the same as what they do now.  If you haven't sold in a while, or if you've recently had a dispute with a buyer , they withhold any money from a sale until tracking confirms delivery, or even until positive feedback is received.  As I say, its the biased against sellers attitude that makes me never want to sell there anymore, and now that they aren't getting fees from sellers, its only going to get worse I imagine!

Just as an example, if a buyer files a Not as Described return request on a non-return item, there is absolutely nothing a seller can do to prevent a return going through, they will ALWAYS side with the buyer, without even considering any evidence you may provide to counter their claims.   Not a big deal on little things, but if you sell a bass on there and the buyer uses this knowledge to return it if they don't like it, you're down two hefty postal charges, as of course they make you refund shipping and pay for the return label.  I've had this multiple times, and reported the buyer each time for fraudulent use of the system, as their support will quite happily tell you that they will punish the buyer and give you your postage money back, but I've never received anything.

Edited by Kev
  • Like 1

Stopped using evilBay for selling items a few years ago when they decided that treating sellers with total disdain was the ideal business model.

Looks like they're reacting to other platforms taking a big slice of the pie, but nothing much seems to have changed in how they bias everything towards the buyer and have 0 interest in sorting out the idiots who are abusing the system.

• Like 1

Maybe I've been lucky but I've sold almost as much bass gear on eBay as BC, over several years, without any issues.

eBay (and fBook market and Gumtree) gives us access to a whole different set of buyers/sellers who are very often not on BC, and sometimes stuff that is not shifting at all on BC will get snapped on eBay. 

Just looking back at what I've sold and, over the past couple of years, big ticket items (basses, amps and cabs) I've predominantly managed to sell on eBay. Maybe we've got an older, wiser set of bass players on BC who already largely have what they are needing with the bigger ticket items?

I do take the point that eBay protects buyers over sellers - I guess the key piece of advice would be to check their feedback scores, which is available on eBay just as it is on BC, and message them to get a feel for whether they are genuine and not and, when possible, with bigger items to see if you can meet them in person to do the sale - which also saves on the worst bit of selling bigger items, the packing and couriering! 😊

Not having to wait for the 80% off fees from eBay, and them now going one better and making all sales 100% off has got to be very welcome?

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

I've used eBay for selling loads of vinyl,over the last couple of years . Also buying the odd bit here and there. 
This keeps on building my 100% feedback . 
It seems that some musical items are cheaper than reverb ,if you are the lucky bidder. 

I pay by PayPal ( at the moment ), but funds seem to be paid into my bank account pretty sharpish when my items are sold .

I've only had one dodgy seller on eBay , and had to get them involved . ( A kaossilator which wasn't working when turned on) 

Dealt with swiftly . Item returned ,and me refunded. 

when I received the notification mentioned , it seems to me that accessing your funds after a sale will be not straightforward as before.

Maybe in the future, a charge will be made to transfer it to your bank account ? 🤔

On a tangent I do have a small list on eBay search , for things I may want to bid for  times aren't too hard .

What I keep getting from eBay is sellers offers just because I looked at something . I could do without that. I even get messages about things I haven't looked at .at all . Probably AI 🤔

Ebay keep changing terms and conditions too requently these days , and it is slowlly putting me off .

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

...Maybe we've got an older, wiser set of bass players on BC who already largely have what they are needing with the bigger ticket items?...

loi-n.gif

Edited by Jack
  • Haha 5

I thought it was just a one day thing yesterday, so I chucked my Epiphone Explorer up there.  Sold (for the asking price) within hours, and only had one lowballer to kick into touch.  We'll see if there are any shenanigans when it comes to getting the money out.

• Like 2