Why become a member? ×

Positive Grid Spark Cab Thoughts Anyone?

Obrienp

Has anybody tried the Positive Grid Spark Cab? https://uk.positivegrid.com/products/spark-cab?variant=47614717657321

I have a Spark 40, which I use a lot for practising to the recording for songs we are going to cover. I find it very convenient, especially as the Bluetooth connection is very reliable for streaming from phone or tablet. The bass amp voicing is pretty good but the built in tiny speakers do not do it justice. I have on occasions hooked it up to one of my EV active PA speakers (12” woofer) and it sounds great but it is a bit of a faff setting it up and the sloping top of the speaker means you can’t put the Spark on top.

The Spark cab looks like a pretty good solution: plenty loud enough for home practice and can also be used with any pre-amp, not just a Spark amp. The Spark 40 sits on top nicely, making it look like a mini stack. It might even be loud enough for a quiet band practice (140 watts, 110+ DB max). Plus it makes an OK acoustic and electric guitar amp (my other interest).

There aren’t many reviews about though. Plenty say it has enough power and tends to be a bit bass heavy but there were a lot of complaints about the initial batch being noisy on idle. It’s not clear whether that has been sorted out in later batches but I don’t see any complaints about it in more recent reviews. There are plenty of complaints about Positive Grid’s customer/after sales service though.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone has tried the Spark Cab with a Spark, or preamp for bass duties and what it was like?

Edited by Obrienp

• Obrienp changed the title to Positive Grid Spark Cab Thoughts Anyone?