Why become a member? ×

ACG RetroB 5 Cocobolo top 35” - *SOLD*
£1300
Kendal

GreeneKing

Not owning an ACG was a place I wasn’t comfortable with, knowing Alan as I do and having owned quite a few over many years. 
So I was chuffed when I acquired this lovely instrument. 
However, a fractured spine over 2 years ago and ongoing back pain with an osteoporosis diagnosis has meant that only lightweight basses are doable. On Thursday I’ll take some current photos (as well as getting an accurate weight).

Please see photos on later post. 
A beautiful instrument in great condition, cocobolo top, lovely maple fingerboard with Luminay dots (and UV torch). 
The electronics are an East Uni Pre with passive and a passive tone control. 
35” scale gives an immense B string, the best I’ve played. 
There is a blemish on the far end of the face of the headstock. It may be from a tuner?? It was there when I bought the bass and it’s almost impossible to see. 
If anyone would like to check this bass out that would be most welcome.

Peter 

IMG_5202.thumb.jpeg.ccd44451bb52708990e2dcd992378411.jpeg

Edited by GreeneKing
Adding poo (proof of ownership 🙂)
  • Like 17

Blimey that’s a bargain.

You’re going to be asked for string spacing as well as weight I expect.

Edited by MJJS
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, andybassdoyle said:

Lovely bass

Could you confirm the controls please, with three stacked pots and a passive tone I’m counting one too many? One passive tone per pu?

cheers

abd 

Certainly Andy

From neck end:

1. Volume, 2. Blend, 3. +/- Bass/treble stack with bright pull on top knob, 4. Sweepable +/- mids with frequency on bottom, 5. Passive tone, that works in active also and engages passive when lifted.

A very powerful and versatile preamp.

I'm just about to take some photos, weigh the bass and put the full spec up. I'll see if it fits the Hiscox and check the Luminay dots still shine.

Peter

On taking this glorious bass out from the practice 'shed' I'm realising how much I'm going to miss both it and ACG ownership. If anyone has a relatively light and probably 4 string ACG they'd consider trading let me know.

Peter

Posted (edited)

Right, about time I completed the for sale thread properly.

Specs for this bass are:

Top Wood: Cocobolo

Veneer: Black

Body Wood: Swamp Ash

Body Finish: Satin Lacquer

Neck Wood: 3 piece Maple

Finger Board: Acrylic Resin Treated Maple

Scale: 35″ 20″ radius

Neck Finish: Satin Lacquer

Pickups: ACG FB Humbuckers 

Hardware: Hipshot bridge, Gotoh GB350 Resolite tuners, Dunlop Dual Design Straplocks, Luminlay face dots

Pre-amp: East Uni-Pre 5K

DSCF0164_DxO.thumb.jpg.736d8debade8561250adeb12eb4f964c.jpgDSCF0165_DxO.thumb.jpg.b0284aa6007bc8265a357b178089ddc9.jpgDSCF0166_DxO.thumb.jpg.6c94519d0d1ceeffce38afb0a405bfd9.jpgDSCF0171_DxO.thumb.jpg.73936cd20d58f9a04cef7954f9595020.jpgDSCF0172_DxO.thumb.jpg.189da5eff3034700c393b124d7f11898.jpgDSCF0173_DxO.thumb.jpg.f940757102460a52c6f1189d3de738ec.jpgDSCF0170_DxO.thumb.jpg.2576aa397538d767ff8f28f7c64b7791.jpgDSCF0168_DxO.thumb.jpg.43029a759547edc2aa63ea177e86a5ca.jpgDSCF0167_DxO.thumb.jpg.77a5eeff1835ec81a74bae7574a75a7c.jpgDSCF0169_DxO.thumb.jpg.0ea5bbe830b57b595830f525b53377f7.jpg

As can be seen, the bass is in excellent condition. There is a blemish on the face of the headstock at its far end. I didn't notice when I purchased it and it may have been made in some way by a clip on tuner or the affixing thereof. It's not noticeable at all unless you look for it.

The bass is strung with nearly new Sunbeams. I comes with a Hiscox hard case. 

It has a very distinctive base tone, being kind of dark and strong if that makes any sense. The powerful and quiet East EQ gives the ability to make much adjustment.

It's a stunner, beautiful made with the asymmetric neck profile that is one of Alan's trademarks. The playability in terms of the neck and fret construction and workmanship is top notch. The band always make very favourable comments when it comes out to play, both on looks and tone.

If you compare this custom, renowned UK luthier made bass with any US mass produced Fender that will likely be far more money the ACG comes away in a different class entirely.

Weight 10.6lb. String spacing at the bridge 18mm. Neck width and string spacing at the nut 45mm and 9mm respectively.

Edited by GreeneKing
  • Like 4

23 hours ago, Sumatra said:

Pickups are ACG right?

what about the pickups spacing? It looks like 70ish or am I wrong?

From the A string saddle to the centre of the bridge pickup is 63mm. Centre to centre of pickups is 100mm.

Hopefully that helps.

Peter

24 minutes ago, andybassdoyle said:

Thanks peter

looks like different controls and bridge to the original pics, great bass though 

You are right. I should have spotted that. 
Sometimes customers respec aspects of Alan’s stock basses. I can only suspect that’s what happened here. 
I believe that the previous owner was the original purchaser. He is a professional musician and may have had personal preferences in respect of the bridge and control layout. 

Peter

I really really want to buy this. Unfortunately I've got something on the way. I had an ACG which I sold as I commissioned a 6 string and only really play 5 and 4 strings. This is an absolute steal. You can't get much better in a 5 string bass than this. GLWTS.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Devers95 said:

I really really want to buy this. Unfortunately I've got something on the way. I had an ACG which I sold as I commissioned a 6 string and only really play 5 and 4 strings. This is an absolute steal. You can't get much better in a 5 string bass than this. GLWTS.

Thank you. 

• GreeneKing changed the title to ACG RetroB 5 Cocobolo top 35” SOLD