Why become a member? ×

PA required for Acoustic Duo - recommendations please!

casapete

Our rather old and a bit tired PA is going to need replacing soon, and I was looking for recommendations from

the BC collective based on what they’ve used, possibly with similar requirements to ours.

We are an acoustic duo - electro acoustic guitar and vocals / electro acoustic bass and vocals.

Currently on smaller gigs we just put everything straight into our mixer amp (Yamaha EMX 512SC) and

then into an aging pair of Bose 802s linked to a pair of passive 12 inch subs. Sometimes I also use my

Rumble 100 combo with a DI into the PA if needed for a touch more spread on bigger/ more rowdy gigs.

Problem is it’s all a bit tired, and it’s time to upgrade. Needs to be manageable for two older gentlemen,

as well as built to last a few years and not a problem to repair if necessary. Our Yamaha mixer amp

is a great thing (2x500 watts ) so wouldn’t be averse to keeping that and just looking for new passive

cabs, or maybe just getting some good active cabs and a small desk. Not sure about the bin / line array set

ups currently popular but maybe only because the ones I’ve heard haven’t been great! 

Any recommendations welcomed, shoot! 

Sadly, you have made a tyro's mistake and completely forgotten to mention your budget. You just know that this will come back to bite you in the bum. 🙄

@Silvia Bluejay and I bought a pristine pair of pre-loved HK-Audio PR:O 12 passive tops a year ago, and they've been a revelation.

https://www.thomann.co.uk/hk_audio_premium_pro_12.htm

You'd probably do just fine with a single cab.

If 18Kg is more than you fancy putting on a pole (I'm 67 and I do two at every gig; no I don't lift weights) then at just 13Kg there's

https://www.thomann.co.uk/hk_audio_premium_pro_10_x.htm

If you like your powered mixer and it still works, why change it?

1 minute ago, Happy Jack said:

Sadly, you have made a tyro's mistake and completely forgotten to mention your budget. You just know that this will come back to bite you in the bum. 🙄

Of course you’re right - budget I guess is around £1500 max. 

3 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

If you like your powered mixer and it still works, why change it

Because it’s getting on in years, and I’m just curious as to whether there’s anything better that

will do the job. Happy to blow our budget on whatever works best though, whether carrying

on with using the Yamaha and getting a new passive speaker set up, or going down the 

active cabs and a small mixer route.