Why become a member? ×

Fitting Gotoh Resolite Tuners on a Sire Bass

I recently bought a very nice Sire  V5 bass that I want to upgrade by fitting lightweight tuners. I've been Googling and apparently the Gotoh GB640 Resolite Tuners are a direct retrofit. Is that really the case? 

If so, what I need to know is how difficult are they to fit, and what tools will I need ? I not very handy, but not completely useless either. Is it a fairly straightforward job to swap out the stock tuners for the Gotoh replacements, and what will I need to do it? Obviously , I know I'll need an appropriately sized screwdriver, but what about wrenches, pliers ect? 

For once I want to be well prepared for  potential problems in advance. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by Misdee

If they're a direct retrofit then they'll just drop in and the screw holes will line up. If you want to use the new bushings then you'll need to tap out the old ones which may be very snug, I use an appropriately sized socket bit and gently tap that from behind. Make sure the headstock is resting on a towel or something.

If they aren't drop in then you'd need to fill and redrill the screw holes, can do this with cocktail sticks and wood glue then carefully level with a chisel. Res-o-lites will likely cover the old screw holes. Worst case scenario is the post diameter is different which will involve either plugging and redrilling or reaming.

The Sire V5 should come with the adjustable Grover clones so unless it's for weight saving there's no real need to upgrade them, I actually stuck a set on my Aria STB-DX and have no issues with tuning stability.

Thanks chaps, yes, I've been watching exactly those YT  demos. I've seen conflicting information about which model Gotohs to go for, that is partly why I was asking the question. I thought the GB640  might be the right one because it has four screw holes, not two like the GB528. I don't necessarily have absolute confidence in this Low End Lobster chap. He seems like a nice guy, but I wouldn't necessarily describe him as an expert in bass-related matters, let me put it that way. I will have to do some more research. Evidently the GB528 will  definitely fit, so it's a safer bet. The last thing I need is to buy the wrong thing! 

There's nothing wrong with the tuning stability of the existing tuners, but I want to make the bass better balanced and lighter overall. 

I fitted  the GB 640s to my Japanese Fender Aerodyne. They are great machine heads BUT I should have fitted the 528s which would have been close to a drop in. Check all the dimensions before buying but the Gotohs are better that Hipshots.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone know if the Gotoh Resolite machine heads are reversible (like Schallers), so you can use them for two a side headstocks? I would like to replace the OEMs on my Guild NS Starfire 1 but at £120 plus, it’s not a cheap mistake, if they wont fit..

P.S. The Gotoh website doesn’t say.

Edited by Obrienp

2 hours ago, Obrienp said:

Anyone know if the Gotoh Resolite machine heads are reversible (like Schallers), so you can use them for two a side headstocks? I would like to replace the OEMs on my Guild NS Starfire 1 but at £120 plus, it’s not a cheap mistake, if they wont fit..

P.S. The Gotoh website doesn’t say.

I don't think they are.

• Like 1

If you're thinking about the GB640 or GBR640, They are not reversable and Gotoh only sell them as 4L or 4R. Also if you did get hold of two L & two R, I think the backplates would probably have too big a footprint to fit on a Starfire headstock.

My Starfire II has a set of Grover 142N fitted as standard, which are well suited and might be a suitable upgrade for the starfire I: https://www.thomann.co.uk/grover_142n_vintage_bass_nickel_22.htm

Alternatively, Guild used to use Grover Titans, so they might be worth looking at.

Thomann have plenty of different sets of 2L2R tuners: https://www.thomann.co.uk/2l_2r_bass_tuning_machines.html

• Like 1

I put Gotoh GB-528 on my P8 and they are a perfect fit.  I did crack the lacquer on the front of the headstock when removing one of the bushings, so do be careful when removing them.  The best way is to find something that fits the hole really well so you can apply even pressure, and tap that gently from the back side of the headstock.  

This is what they look like fitted.  I've improved how the unused holes look since this was taken.

image.thumb.png.21a8dac07a9b47a0768b30502eba5900.png

And the front. You can just see the remnants of the crack near the B string tuner (picture taken after I repaired it).

image.png.a8d2a7dee627812a0eaad8d9c2da17e5.png

Edited by franzbassist

In my experience, apart from on the very cheapest instruments, it is rare to get tuners on a bass that don't work well from new or go bad over time. If yours do develop any looseness, stiffness or jumpiness, a dab of vaseline on the moving parts and ensuring everything is tight enough (but not too tight) should keep them working well forever.

I think I have only changed tuners for aesthetic reasons — all three of my vintage pro thunderbirds look fantastic with Gotoh GB640s, but there was absolutely nothing wrong with the stock wilkinsons.

Edited by Jean-Luc Pickguard
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Jean-Luc Pickguard said:

In my experience, apart from on the very cheapest instruments, it is rare to get tuners on a bass that don't work well from new or go bad over time. If yours do develop any looseness, stiffness or jumpiness, a dab of vaseline on the moving parts and ensuring everything is tight enough (but not too tight) should keep them working well forever.

I probably haven’t kept a bass for long enough to find out but I have had OEM tuners on cheaper basses that felt bad from the start and had tuning stability problems (other factors like nut slots, strings, etc taken into account). The Guild’s seem alright but do look like they are made to a price point. I’ll see how they go but thanks for your tips for extending their life.