Why become a member? ×

How did this pass me by? Hiwatt join the Class D club...

Russ

Looks like another classic British amp manufacturer have jumped on the lightweight bass amp train - Hiwatt. 

https://britampco.co.uk/hiwatt/shop/details/HW-BD-770-STUDIO-BLACK.html

image.thumb.png.c4da4d0e1a33b69a590ca7e81af39ce9.png

Not sure when these came out - must have been fairly recently, but has anyone tried one? They do a more "traditional" looking version too - same amp in a more classic-looking Hiwatt head enclosure. 

• Like 1

I haven't found it for sale online anywhere. Maybe it's just been announced but not released yet? 

They've always made good gear - the guitarist in my band has a Hiwatt head and it sounds wonderfully filthy. They're just a bit "invisible" these days. 

I emailed them and it has not yet been launched. When they launch it will be online and via Andertons.

From the email:

"

Hey John, I need to discuss with the boss what are plans are for the launch, but I'm sure once we have stock ready you will be able to purchase direct in our website or via Andertons."

Hiwatt seem to be the last of the old-school British amp companies to get on the small-but-powerful bass amp thing - Laney. Orange, etc have been at it for a while now. 

Now, if Marshall would just get back into making bass amps... :D

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Russ said:

Hiwatt seem to be the last of the old-school British amp companies to get on the small-but-powerful bass amp thing - Laney. Orange, etc have been at it for a while now. 

Now, if Marshall would just get back into making bass amps... :D

They’re not an old school amp manufacturer, they just bought the brand. 

This could be a cool little amp. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, spyder said:

Agree. 👍

Depends if they bought the people along with the name, and if the new owners care about the brand and its heritage.

For instance, Marshall are now owned by the Swedish company who made their headphones and Bluetooth speakers, but it’s still Marshall because all the same people work there in Milton Keynes.

Trace Elliot is owned by Peavey now, and obviously none of the original Trace people work there, but the people who are making the new Trace gear are enormous Trace fanboys who are obsessed with getting the sound and feel as close to the original Trace experience as possible.

Just wondering which one of these Hiwatt is closest to in that regard…?

16 hours ago, Russ said:

Depends if they bought the people along with the name, and if the new owners care about the brand and its heritage.

The people were long gone, 20 years ago. Actually make that 40 years ago when Biacrown closed and Music Ground got their hands on the brand.

Edited by pete.young
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, pete.young said:

The people were long gone, 20 years ago. Actually make that 40 years ago when Biacrown closed and Music Ground got their hands on the brand.

Hopefully they’re more like the Trace Elliot people then. 

I’ve heard good things about their current range of guitar amps, that they still have that wonderfully fuzzy Hiwatt sound, so hopefully someone there knows what they’re doing.