Why become a member? ×

Recording Advice

Andy_L

22 hours ago, BabyBlueSound said:

Practice to a click every day. Maybe you're already doing this, but if you aren't, it will make a difference!

Not always good practice IMO.

Song songs definitely benefit from a constant steady tempo. Others need that push and pull that only a tight well-rehearsed band (or a pre-programmed viable click) can bring. Good musicians will instinctively know which method feels right.

30 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

Not always good practice IMO.

Song songs definitely benefit from a constant steady tempo. Others need that push and pull that only a tight well-rehearsed band (or a pre-programmed viable click) can bring. Good musicians will instinctively know which method feels right.

Agreed 100% unless they’re using a strict click to record and OP is not used to playing to one 👍

8 hours ago, BabyBlueSound said:

As my friend in the studio says: this is EXACTLY what ALL musicians believe 😁

As someone whose done a lot of recording, I won't deny that using a click track, especially when a recording to a DAW, has lots of benefits when it comes to post-tracking edits and changes of arrangement, because they make life a lot easier for the recording engineer.

However it is also undeniable that a fixed constant tempo can suck all the life out of a song.

With my previous band before any recording session we would practice all the songs with and without a click to see which version worked best. In the end the recordings were split 50/50 between those that were played to a click with constant tempo and those that needed a more flexible approach to timing. Without sticking the tracks in a DAW and beat matching them, I doubt whether anyone could tell which was which.

In my current band that uses computer-generated drums quite a few of the songs have programmed tempo changes to get the right feel.

• Like 1

I agree with your band's approach. I did not say to definitely record with a click! But if you practice to a click every day (especially if you usually don't), you'll have a much easier job overall when it comes to the actual recording. I just believe recorded "life" provides much less wiggle room compared to live "life". 

I have seen studio guys fixing that "life" with a weary face when the bass misses those ones on the bass drum 😁