Why become a member? ×

Yet another new Fender Artist Series Signature...

basshead56

Looks like Mr Hoppus has yet another updated sig this time in JAG (not Jaguar) fashion

I know there were limited runs of his last model that you could buy directly from his site (HMNIM) but not through Fender.

Looks pretty cool.

I still have my MK1 in Shell Pink but heavily reliced. I absolutely adore it. I played a MK2 with the reverse pickup config when they came out and really like it too but never committed to buying one.

Love the look of the Jaguar-shaped models he's had for the last few years

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, jd56hawk said:

What's this, the 8th or 9th $1,000 plus MIM and the 5th or 6th Mark Hoppus bass?
Someone at Fender must really love him.

He's probably in the top ten most famous bassists on the planet, it's not surprising really. Lovely bass, needs a maple fingerboard. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Jack said:

He's probably in the top ten most famous bassists on the planet, it's not surprising really. Lovely bass, needs a maple fingerboard. 

Not on my list of "10 bassists you could name". Had to DDG him to find out he was in Blink-182.

• Like 6

One of the things that makes a significant difference to tone is the position of the pickup. Thanks to Hoppus, there are Fender basses with pickups in locations that haven't been set for decades. Does gratitude for this not take precedence over your opinion of the player who caused them to exist?

1 hour ago, Munurmunuh said:

One of the things that makes a significant difference to tone is the position of the pickup. Thanks to Hoppus, there are Fender basses with pickups in locations that haven't been set for decades. Does gratitude for this not take precedence over your opinion of the player who caused them to exist?

Who is this aimed at?

5 hours ago, tauzero said:

Not on my list of "10 bassists you could name". Had to DDG him to find out he was in Blink-182.

1 hour ago, Burns-bass said:

I had no idea either. Fair play to him, it’s a cool bass.

All fine, but as ever it would be wise to remember that BC is not representative of the wider world. It's not even representative of most bass players.

Me and my wife go to London most years a few weeks before Christmas. Shopping, drinking, that kind of thing. We sometimes catch a show and in 2017 we saw Metallica in about October time. A little early for us to go down but hey, Metallica. A year or two later we saw that the Muppets were doing a live orchestra show. I love the Muppets, big part of my childhood and an embarrassingly big part of my adult life, so my wife looked at getting tickets and she was shocked to see that they were more expensive than Metallica were. "For f@#@ick PUPPETS". I reminded her that, goths and rockers that we were, if you asked anyone we know personally, they would almost certainly take the Metallica tickets. But if you show the average person on the street a photo of Kermit and a photo of Hetfield and ask them to name the people in the pictures you'll get about 99/100 knowing Kermit and maybe 1 or 2 knowing Hetfield.

This is a forum for bass nerds. We might prefer Claypool, Lee, Pastorious or Jackson. Most people don't have a clue who we're on about. Primus never had a Vegas residency.

Edited by Jack
  • Like 5

5 minutes ago, Jack said:

All fine, but as ever it would be wise to remember that BC is not representative of the wider world. It's not even representative of most bass players.

This is very true. The wider world struggles to name two bassists. At least most of BC could probably name ten.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Jack said:

Me and my wife go to London most years a few weeks before Christmas. Shopping, drinking, that kind of thing. We sometimes catch a show and in 2017 we saw Metallica in about October time. A little early for us to go down but hey, Metallica. A year or two later we saw that the Muppets were doing a live orchestra show. I love the Muppets, big part of my childhood and an embarrassingly big part of my adult life, so my wife looked at getting tickets and she was shocked to see that they were more expensive than Metallica were. "For f@#@ick PUPPETS". I reminded her that, goths and rockers that we were, if you asked anyone we know personally, they would almost certainly take the Metallica tickets. But if you show the average person on the street a photo of Kermit and a photo of Hetfield and ask them to name the people in the pictures you'll get about 99/100 knowing Kermit and maybe 1 or 2 knowing Hetfield.

This is a forum for bass nerds. We might prefer Claypool, Lee, Pastorious or Jackson. Most people don't have a clue who we're on about. Primus never had a Vegas residency.

It’s all good. I never started as a chin stroking jazz fan. I learnt most of my bass riffs stuff playing along with “and out come the wolves” and working through Operation Ivy (and from there through the Epitaph records stuff and more) and then into harder stuff and from there, I’m still learning I guess!

Less into me punk stuff anymore but I do like heavy rock. Mastodon and Earthless are artists I really enjoy. I’ve seen Metallica several times too.

Anyway, long way round to say that Blink 182 were never considered authentic to me, more like kiddie pop punk. It’s hugely popular of course, and perhaps that’s the point.

Edited by Burns-bass

2 hours ago, Burns-bass said:

It’s all good. I never started as a chin stroking jazz fan. I learnt most of my bass riffs stuff playing along with “and out come the wolves” and working through Operation Ivy (and from there through the Epitaph records stuff and more) and then into harder stuff and from there, I’m still learning I guess!

Less into me punk stuff anymore but I do like heavy rock. Mastodon and Earthless are artists I really enjoy. I’ve seen Metallica several times too.

Anyway, long way round to say that Blink 182 were never considered authentic to me, more like kiddie pop punk. It’s hugely popular of course, and perhaps that’s the point.

To be fair, I don't think Blink 182 ever claimed to be a punk band. They've always been pop punk, and as pop punk bands go, there's no-one bigger than Blink 182. Mark Hoppus, whatever else we might think of him as a bass player, is probably responsible for getting more young kids picking up a bass than near enough anyone else we could name off the top of our heads. 

And, yeah, it is a cool bass. I'm not a Jag fan, never have been really, but as straight ahead, bare bones P styles go, that's a pretty slick one. Black and maple would have to be offered for me to even consider it though. 

7 hours ago, PinkMohawk said:

To be fair, I don't think Blink 182 ever claimed to be a punk band. They've always been pop punk, and as pop punk bands go, there's no-one bigger than Blink 182. Mark Hoppus, whatever else we might think of him as a bass player, is probably responsible for getting more young kids picking up a bass than near enough anyone else we could name off the top of our heads. 

And, yeah, it is a cool bass. I'm not a Jag fan, never have been really, but as straight ahead, bare bones P styles go, that's a pretty slick one. Black and maple would have to be offered for me to even consider it though. 

You reckon Blink 182 are bigger than Green Day? Perhaps it’s because I grew up with Green Day and playing those Dookie covers for years when I was 16-18 that I see them as bigger. 

In my formative bass years it was Krist and Mike Dirnst. Both payed Rippers (which is why I ended up with one I guess!)

Never got the RHCP thing.

Anyway, I’m sure this bass would sound great with zingy brand new roundwounds and played agressively with a pick!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, tauzero said:

Who is this aimed at?

The now grown up original fans and their kids that they probably took along to the recent Blink reunion shows I expect. 

Edited by miles'tone
  • Like 2

Guitarist in my band has two of the Tom DeLonge (the guitarist in Blink 182 to save you a trip to Google) signature guitars and they are absolutely lovely. He couldn't decide which colour so went for two of them, which is great for his local music shop. They are fantastic instruments for the price point and something really different for Fender. So there is hope in the Hoppus bass.

People who grew up on Blink-182 and have the cash to treat themselves may well buy one or two of these. And there's actually a little thought in it with the pickup orientation and position, which is better than just churning out another p or j and calling it a signature because it's in a slightly different colour or some other factor that doesn't affect sound.

29 minutes ago, Burns-bass said:

You reckon Blink 182 are bigger than Green Day? Perhaps it’s because I grew up with Green Day and playing those Dookie covers for years when I was 16-18 that I see them as bigger. 

In my formative bass years it was Krist and Mike Dirnst. Both payed Rippers (which is why I ended up with one I guess!)

Never got the RHCP thing.

Anyway, I’m sure this bass would sound great with zingy brand new roundwounds and played agressively with a pick!

Fair point, they're probably about the same in terms of popularity, though I guess we could argue that, at least Green Day's early stuff was more towards punk than pop punk. But yeah, I'd agree that Mike and Mark have probably shifted more Fender and Squire basses than just about anyone else we'd care to mention. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, PinkMohawk said:

Fair point, they're probably about the same in terms of popularity, though I guess we could argue that, at least Green Day's early stuff was more towards punk than pop punk. But yeah, I'd agree that Mike and Mark have probably shifted more Fender and Squire basses than just about anyone else we'd care to mention. 

And that’s something we can all agree is a good thing!

• Like 3

I posted this in the gig thread and didn't notice at the time, but the backdrop here is relevant to this thread. Nirvana, ACDC, Rolling Stones, Prince, etc, some of the biggest artists of all time. Who's that in the top right? 😁PXL_20241004_220352881_MP.thumb.jpg.ff1432d7c548df2fa29ca8c4ed2255f2.jpg

SEI_129837327.jpg?resize=640,360&strip=a

14 hours ago, miles'tone said:

The now grown up original fans and their kids that they probably took along to the recent Blink reunion shows I expect. 

I meant Murmunumrirnriruh's comment rather than the bass.

• Like 1

I've never been fond of Fender's dumbing down of the Jaguar and Jazzmaster; getting rid of all the switching, circuitry, and chrome that made them interesting to begin with, leaving you with massive, unnecessary, ugly pickguards. The original Japanese Jaguar Bass is the only one I'd be interested in.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jono Bolton said:

I've never been fond of Fender's dumbing down of the Jaguar and Jazzmaster; getting rid of all the switching, circuitry, and chrome that made them interesting to begin with, leaving you with massive, unnecessary, ugly pickguards. The original Japanese Jaguar Bass is the only one I'd be interested in.

I know what you mean.

Never saw the point of all that wasted space.

I had (until Feb this year) one of the original Japanese Jag basses in hot Rod Red and it was a thing of absolute beauty.

It was such a versatile instrument. Makes me wonder why the short-lived US versions didn't sell so well. Mine was a case-queen and I really wished i'd used it more.

Only moved it on as a part-trade to get to my QMT Deluxe Jazz.