Why become a member? ×

NDBD: Squier Affinity Jaguar H (first D is for damaged, not double)

neepheid

Aw man!  I thought I was in luck - I snagged a B-stock Squier Jaguar H from Thomann.  And then DHL got involved :(

jaguardamage1.thumb.jpg.02f26cc4ff51bdeacfc3f8e1654be574.jpgjaguardamage2.jpg.96569435cce2d56f326646643eedd329.jpg

What a shame!  The good news is that the damage is at the back, and I found the finish chip inside the box.  So I've told Thomann that I'm willing to keep the bass if they lop some money off.  Waiting to see what they have to say, having sent them all the many photos of bass and packaging that they asked for.

Unfortunately, it's kinda in limbo land right now - I don't want to do anything until I hear back from Thomann about what they want to do.  Had a quick play around with it and it seems nice and well put together.  Pickup is a bit meh, so if I'm keeping it then this will probably get changed.  I guess I'll update when I get their reply.  Until then, here's a quick shot of the front, and my Sire D5 keeping it company while we wait.

jaguarfront.thumb.jpg.2759b9fb6a7ccfa52acf9af84603448e.jpg jaguarandd5.thumb.jpg.0f2a787caf0e702c595cffe033748301.jpg

Edited by neepheid
  • Like 2
  • Sad 2

Remember, they will have to pay return shipping if you don't want it, then knock some more money off and pay to ship it out to another buyer...

I'd be explaining this, and offer to ease their burden and start at £75... would you by it in the shop for £75 - £ or £50 of list  or have a new one? Just 'cos it's landed don't feel obliged - need them to offer a decent discount for you to by the damaged one over a new one.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, PaulThePlug said:

Remember, they will have to pay return shipping if you don't want it, then knock some more money off and pay to ship it out to another buyer...

I'd be explaining this, and offer to ease their burden and start at £75... would you by it in the shop for £75 - £ or £50 of list  or have a new one? Just 'cos it's landed don't feel obliged - need them to offer a decent discount for you to by the damaged one over a new one.

Well, let's see what they say about it first.  I doubt they'd want it back anyway - it was B-stock to start with, so they've already had it back once (or maybe it was ex-display?) and I don't think they'll be able to sell it again anyway if it was returned to them.  Let's see if logic and common sense prevail, 'cos I'm doing them a favour by offering to keep it.

I don't feel obliged to keep it - I just think because I've accounted for all the finish pieces that I can glue it back together and it's at the back so it wouldn't be too bothersome.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Pea Turgh said:

Crikey - that looks like it should have been protected by the corner of the box.  Must have been a hell of a whack.

I hope they resolve it to your satisfaction.  Nice bass, either way!

Boxes were structurally fine (if a little grubby).  I think this is a case of insufficent internal packaging - the bass was able to move around inside the box, so I think the box got dropped and the bass bashed against the inside of the box.  This was all that was keeping it "tight" inside the inner box:

17_innerboxpackingmaterial.thumb.jpg.aa8d9dc3a035e572ab7e117332b5d938.jpg

Note the nick of the third cardboard retainer, looks bashed in to me.  Foam bag was ripped too.  Finish chip was rattling around inside the box.

• neepheid changed the title to NDBD: Squier Affinity Jaguar H (first D is for damaged, not double)
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Supernaut said:

Ah well, just return it and try again. 👍🏻

If Thomann lop as decent a chunk off the price as DHL have lopped off the bass, I'll keep it and fix it up.  We're not exactly talking megabucks here.  Honestly, glueing a few pieces of finish onto a bass is a lot less hassle (to me at least) than going through the arseache of packaging it up again (effin' properly this time so I don't get any blowback) and getting it to wherever DHL can lay their hands on it again.

Edited by neepheid

23 minutes ago, PaulThePlug said:

@neepheid Any News?..

Not yet.  Still waiting for Thomann's response.  Saturday probably isn't the best day to get admin-y stuff done and they're shut on a Sunday.  Maybe tomorrow.  Well, today.

Just now, neepheid said:

Further update - a (useful) spanner in the works has appeared from nowhere.  Don't wanna jinx it.  More news later in the week...

That's not fair....

Not quite in the same league as Fermats 'I have a truly marvellous demonstration of this proposition which this margin is too narrow to contain.' but not too far off...

Rpb

• Like 1

18 hours ago, neepheid said:

Update - Thomann have gone straight to return for full refund.  Have asked them if they had considered my initial request for a discount.  Waiting to hear back.

What discount did you ask for?

18 minutes ago, JJMotown said:

What discount did you ask for?

I haven't even got as far as that - so far they're reluctant to even consider the course of action, never mind the nitty gritty of the numbers.  They replied today to my "was it even considered?" question with "This option was considered, but since the damage was quite severe and may continue to cause problems, we prefer to proceed this way."  I've argued back at them that I know what I'm doing, the damage is 100% cosmetic and I'm happy to waive the warranty (if that's what they're worried about), so we'll see what they say.  I'm not going to argue the toss with them much longer - there's nothing I can do about it if they stick to their guns.  And here was me thinking that it was what the customer prefered that mattered the most...

7 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

They want to deter people who may cause deliberate damage or use other photos to get a discount.

Doesn't mean they think you are being dodgy, but that they've been stung before.

Their house, their rules, I guess.  I've stated my case, I guess I'll find out tomorrow what the final verdict is.

2 hours ago, neepheid said:

Their house, their rules, I guess.  I've stated my case, I guess I'll find out tomorrow what the final verdict is.

Good luck. My brother battled with them over a wrongly wired guitar. They wouldn't accept/understand the issue.

So he said 'I've changed my mind, I don't like it' and they took it back. He then orderdd another.

This may be an option as b-stock of popular models isn't rare.

• Like 2

So, a LPB Jaguar H became available.  So I snagged it.  Now I'm less bothered about keeping the charcoal one, but if I do get to keep it it's going to be a fun time swapping bits and bobs!  No reply from Thomann today - whether that's a good sign (request gone "upstairs") or not (they're ignoring me and hoping I just give up)...

lpbjaguars.thumb.jpg.a8a5a2fb0c2473621f2c8f25810a09ab.jpg

• Like 3

Thomann (non) update - they're still chewing it over and it's been passed over to their technical department for their 2c on the matter.  I really hope I get to keep it now - wanna see what the LPB looks like with the dark fingerboard but daren't do the swap until this has all been resolved.

• Like 2

Those two look very purrty (sounds of six fingered banjo playing in the background). 

You must bring them to the bass bash. Do you need a van yet?

Rov

Edited by rwillett