Why become a member? ×

NDBD: Squier Affinity Jaguar H (first D is for damaged, not double)

neepheid

I went to A-Strings in Treforest yesterday. They have the same bass, in Charcoal Frost for £219. If they are 'in range' an extra £20 is reasonable amount for the chance to try before you buy in a much nicer, less intimidating environment than the usual chains, they will probably offer you a mug of tea as well.

Show's over.  They've offered me £25 off to keep it and apparently that's a maximum.  That is unacceptable to me and I can't be arsed arguing with them any more, so I'll just be returning it.  Enjoy your paperwork, guys.

Always confuses me when shops offer a paltry discount on damaged or faulty goods, I guess Thomann will get all their money back from the courier and have an entire department to sort that process but still not a particuarly effective way to go about things.

Edited by lemmywinks
  • Like 1

You know something, this has effed me off to the point where I've dashed off another email to tell them I will be invoicing them for my time, mileage and cost of packing materials.

Their packing advice - https://www.thomann.co.uk/faq_question_how_do_i_pack_my_return_consignment.html - has the nerve to lecture me about using bubble wrap etc, yet they employed not one shred of the stuff when they sent it to me!  Coupled with the line in their returns email "we will not accept liability for damages due to insufficient packaging" - excuse me?  You expect me to place it back in the hands of the very folk who damaged it in the first place, but I'm screwed if something goes wrong?  RIght then.

It's hypocritical BS, and it's left a sour taste in my mouth.  I'm sure they won't pay the invoice (I worked it out, it'll be around £30 all told), but it's symbolic and I'm making the point that they are leaning on the goodwill of their customers when stuff goes wrong.  I think it's kinda their fault in the first place - if they had packaged the bass to the same standards as they're expecting me to, it would have probably arrived safely.  None of this would have happened and we could have had a lovely, ordinary NBD thread.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, rwillett said:

They've already sent me a label for that.  I'm not being charged for return postage - I'm talking about my time, fuel and packing materials that it will take to make this return happen.  Basically, I'm being an officious d!ck, but it's to make a point.

Edited by neepheid

Just now, rwillett said:

Sorry misunderstood.  I suspect you can complain and you'll get nowhere. 

Apologies for confusion

Rob

No worries!  And I agree - I highly doubt they'll pay much attention to it, but I just wanted to make the point to them.

On 11/10/2024 at 10:47, Stub Mandrel said:

I went to A-Strings in Treforest yesterday. They have the same bass, in Charcoal Frost for £219. If they are 'in range' an extra £20 is reasonable amount for the chance to try before you buy in a much nicer, less intimidating environment than the usual chains, they will probably offer you a mug of tea as well.

I made that suggestion in another thread and was promptly shut down. 🤷🏻‍♂️

5 minutes ago, Supernaut said:

I made that suggestion in another thread and was promptly shut down. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Why is this even relevant in this thread anyway?  I'm in Aberdeen, and have been sent a bass which has got bashed in the post.  How is visiting a guitar shop in Wales, in person, gonna help me right now?  I've already got the replacement, it's utterly moot.

I just ignored it when Stub mentioned it - honestly I thought he had wandered into the wrong thread by mistake :D  But now that it's been referenced again I would just like to say I don't want to get into a discussion about the merits (and downsides - something usually forgotten about by cheerleaders of the "buy in person" brigade) of going to guitar shops in person vs. buying at distance.  It's not relevant to this thread or this situation.

Thank you for reading, and I hope I don't come off rude here but it's my thread about a specific issue/saga that I'm having and I'd rather it wasn't derailed by this irrelevance.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, neepheid said:

No worries!  And I agree - I highly doubt they'll pay much attention to it, but I just wanted to make the point to them.

And I'm sure you'll make it eloquently and forcibly...

Rob

8 minutes ago, rwillett said:

And I'm sure you'll make it eloquently and forcibly...

Rob

I asked someone to read over my email before I sent it and the verdict was (and I quote) - "sassy, but not unfair" :D

• Like 1

The saga rumbles on.  Now it's the turn of DHL to be the sticking point.  I have been to two DHL "service"points and had my parcel refused because it's too big.  The trouble with this is that your typical DHL "service"point seems to be situated in a tiny convenience store with hardly enough room to swing a cat, never mind store a bass in a box. Also, I have zero confidence that the parcel will be safe as they just seem to leave them lying around the shop.  In the second one I went to, the lady I spoke to at the second one told me they're a shower of lazy b'stards (not her words) and only show up intermittently. She pointed at a smaller parcel (about the size of a small microwave oven) she took in (ironically also a Thomann box, but I couldn't say if it was bound for Thomann or reused for something else) which was just sitting on the floor in the aisle and it had been there for 3 days

I'm not going traipsing around the city trying all six because it's going to be the same story.  I've fed this back to Thomann and asked them what I'm supposed to do now.

On 15/10/2024 at 20:14, lemmywinks said:

I had this issue with shops in my area, spoke to Thomann and they sent me a label to collect from my address.

Been going on for ages and Thomann are aware of it.

Yup, you called it - they're going to send a courier to fetch it.  They are going to such lengths to repatriate a damaged £180 bass... oh well, up to them I guess.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, rwillett said:

I'll be searching their website daily hoping to buy this mystical bass that has attracted so much attention :) Let us know when it's gone.

With a bit of luck it will be £100 or so

Rob

Better bloody not! Tight gits only offered me £25 off to keep it!

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, Hurricane Jimmie said:

And now I'm looking for a chance to use 'Tight Gits' in polite conversation... although I'm only guessing what it really means.  😁

Well, Git is a general purpose insult for somebody ( usually male, I think ) that you don't like. Tight just means mean, miserly, parsimonious, very unwilling to spend money or use resources.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, chrisba said:

Well, Git is a general purpose insult for somebody ( usually male, I think ) that you don't like. Tight just means mean, miserly, parsimonious, very unwilling to spend money or use resources.

A git is a pregnant camel.

A tight git is a pregnant camel that has, contrary to the vet's advice, been drinking. And working for Thomann.

• Haha 2