Why become a member? ×

Fender "innovation" launch

22 hours ago, eude said:

OK, that's fair, in the world of bass through, they haven't been innovators for a long time.

The Fender ACB 50 is highly innovative. None would bet on a tube bass combo nowadays

• Haha 3

35 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

As I mentioned on one of the companies that posted that picture, I am guessing the innovation is the same guitars in a slightly different colour, and with another confusing label that people will have to explain where it fits in the range.

They may do something incredibly radical like a reverse headstock 🤦‍♂️

35 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

As I mentioned on one of the companies that posted that picture, I am guessing the innovation is the same guitars in a slightly different colour, and with another confusing label that people will have to explain where it fits in the range.

11 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Much as I harbour disdain for all the big manufacturers, at least Gibson are trying to mix things up with their MOD Collection stuff; sure they're as guilty as everyone else in their custom shop offerings, but the MOD stuff is truly one-off mix and match experimentation, finishes, pickups, electrics, tailpieces/Bigsby units.

1 hour ago, eude said:

Well, don't get your hopes up that they will do anything too radical!

1 hour ago, NancyJohnson said:

Much as I harbour disdain for all the big manufacturers, at least Gibson are trying to mix things up with their MOD Collection stuff;

Indeed, looks good. Wouldn't kill them to throw a bass in there occasionaly would it? I know they don't really bother with basses, but the last actual gibson bass I had played really well, even if it was gut wrenchingly ugly! (EB5)*.

* I didn't dump it because of the uglyness, it was the string spacing, I can't do 19mm string spacing on a 5.

13 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Indeed, looks good. Wouldn't kill them to throw a bass in there occasionaly would it? I know they don't really bother with basses, but the last actual gibson bass I had played really well, even if it was gut wrenchingly ugly! (EB5)*.

I have seen a handful of NR Thunderbirds in the MOD collection - they do come up periodically:

RAM024592-2.jpg?w=1200&h=1200

RAM021410-2.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Woodinblack said:

Well, don't get your hopes up that they will do anything too radical!

* I didn't dump it because of the uglyness, it was the string spacing, I can't do 19mm string spacing on a 5.

Oi! 😁

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, gjones said:

A Fender preamp with a sweepable mid, like a John East, or a Sire would be useful. Fender preamps are not that good.

But Sire get so much grief because people find sweepable mids difficult...

Edited by Stub Mandrel

4 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

But Sire get so much grief because people find sweepable mids difficult...

I've found the best way to deal with people who find the concept of sweepable mids tricky is to hand them a tambourine and tell them I'll meet them in the car park.

Edited by simisker
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I don't think anyone's going to argue that ALL Fender's core basses were innovative when they were first released.

The problem is that every one of their birth years starts with a "19".

EDIT: And to be fair to past Fender, every time they've created [or acquired!] something that starts with a "20", us bassists have gone "ooh no, can we have one of them 19-something jobbies, please?".

So as much as we're having a dig at Big F's marketing, we collectively have to shoulder some of the blame for an industry-wide reticence to innovate.

Edited by simisker
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

I would argue the Bass VI and V were hugely innovative when they were first released.

Splitting hairs 😁 Bass VI 1961, Bass V 1965, still almost sixty years ago...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, simisker said:

I don't think anyone's going to argue that ALL Fender's core basses were innovative when they were first released.

The problem is that every one of their birth years starts with a "19".

EDIT: And to be fair to past Fender, every time they've created [or acquired!] something that starts with a "20", us bassists have gone "ooh no, can we have one of them 19-something jobbies, please?".

So as much as we're having a dig at Big F's marketing, we collectively have to shoulder some of the blame for an industry-wide reticence to innovate.

They don't seem to really put their hearts into innovation (not Innovation) though. Manufacturers like Ibanez and Cort show that it's quite possible to have a wide portfolio of instruments - Fender periodically produce something different, make it for a couple of years, then abandon it.

Last time Fender attempted to do something different we got the Dimension bass and they were sh*tcanned because nobody wanted them. The usual complaints they didn’t sound enough like a Fender or look enough like a Fender abounded.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, gjones said:

A Fender preamp with a sweepable mid, like a John East, or a Sire would be useful. Fender preamps are not that good.

The Korean built Jazz 24's have a sweepable mid...I've got one. We complain, but also are very aware that most sound engineers and many band members just want you to bring a P Bass......

• Like 1