Why become a member? ×

An appreciation of supportive wives, husbands & partners

My partner politely requests that I keep the gear encroachment to one guitar in the living room and the rest stays in the studio downstairs, arguing correctly that as we have an entire room dedicated to music kit it seems a bit unfair to then start slowly moving it into the rest of the house...

We also have an arrangement where she comes to one (1) gig per new band at which point her supportive duties are considered fulfilled unless something particularly interesting comes up. She once took a train across three countries by herself to see me play in Amsterdam so it's not like she's not interested, but if she came to every gig I did she wouldn't have time for a job.

I was also away on that particular tour for two full months leaving her to look after the homestead solo - support goes both ways and unfortunately there have been times when I've not been great at it in the past. Hopefully doing better these days!

Edited by borntohang
  • Like 4

My ex wife was always supportive of my involvement with music/bands etc. Then she ran off with a punter 😄.

That was 40yrs ago and I'm still looking for that someone special. My living room currently resembles a studio/rehearsal space, so I would have to re-train myself.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Geek99 said:

Yes rickenbackers are so ugly. You can reduce their on-wall footprint by unharnessing the plough horse first 

I'll look after them for you (not the plough horse though).

Edited by Skybone

• ossyrocks changed the title to An appreciation of supportive wives, husbands & partners
23 minutes ago, tauzero said:

I feel the thread title is a little non-inclusive, as there's nothing stopping bassists having husbands and/or girlfriends.

You are quite right. I started this thread from my own perspective. Title edited.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, tauzero said:

I feel the thread title is a little non-inclusive

Well if that's the name of the game, there's nothing stopping bassists being monogamish, polyamorous, part of a throuple or poly-fidelity, FWBs, or having CNM or ENM, or relationship anarchy, or being Queer Platonic, co-parenting, or chosen family.

Just now, MacDaddy said:

Well if that's the name of the game, there's nothing stopping bassists being monogamish, polyamorous, part of a throuple or poly-fidelity, FWBs, or having CNM or ENM, or relationship anarchy, or being Queer Platonic, co-parenting, or chosen family.

Yes, and?  Is there a point buried somewhere in this sentence?

Just now, neepheid said:

Yes, and?  Is there a point buried somewhere in this sentence?

Did you just read what I posted, in which case it might seem out of context, or did you also read what I replied to?

31 minutes ago, MacDaddy said:

Would you like to come up with the corresponding list of how the assorted components of each of these groups would be known? Might make for quite a long thread title though.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, tauzero said:

Would you like to come up with the corresponding list of how the assorted components of each of these groups would be known? Might make for quite a long thread title though.

What would have been wrong with “spouses /partners”, that covers most bases. 

Meanwhile in guitar land they've found other ways of ensuring the other half is happy (and yes this was a real advert - hopefully my cunningly placed star will stop it getting censored!):

1716_365901646858883_1752256026_n.jpg.5aad3efbae38897465f72ab8483105ab.jpg

Edited by SimonK

Oh, sorry I forgot to say earlier - I have no instruments out on display in the house, everything I own from basses to drum kits to keyboards etc, live in my studio. My choice entirely. My gear is work tools, I don't want to have them up on wall hangers or anything. 

I love all the instruments I have, but I don't need to be looking at them when I'm not recording. I used to have everything everywhere around the house before I got my first studio. It is cool having a Fender Rhodes in your living room but also really distracting because you keep wanting to noodle away on it, and then you realise you've burned dinner. 😂

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, SimonK said:

Meanwhile in guitar land they've found other ways of ensuring the other half is happy (and yes this was a real advert - hopefully my cunningly placed star will stop me getting censored!):

I always liked the old Tokai's. I owned a couple along the way too, but it was always a slight annoyance that I had to buy my own stick-on stars. Bloody copy merchants!

9 minutes ago, SimonK said:

Meanwhile in guitar land they've found other ways of ensuring the other half is happy (and yes this was a real advert - hopefully my cunningly placed star will stop me getting censored!):

That's beyond grim, even for the 80s.

Mrs Axe has always been unreasonably supportive of my musical endeavours. It probably helps that in our teenage courtship I won her over with questionable versions of Ralph McTell and Bert Jansch numbers on a crappy acoustic guitar.

As regards music kit, I now have the second bedroom (man cave music room), walk-in cupboard (amp and case storage), space under the bed in the third bedroom (gig bags), and a chunk of the loft (hard cases and cardboard boxes). Plus most of one living room wall hosts 56ft of CD shelves.

After 42 years of marriage I’m starting to think she might be a keeper…

• Like 3

nice post @ossyrocks and your lounge looks great,

miss RB has always been supportive of of my music, I’ve got basses all around the house and she never complains (well sometimes 😁) , I’ll sort out my bass room properly one of these days, i like to have a bass within easy reach wherever I am 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, SimonK said:

Meanwhile in guitar land they've found other ways of ensuring the other half is happy (and yes this was a real advert - hopefully my cunningly placed star will stop it getting censored!):

Things have changed somewhat over the last 50 years or so. I remember an advert in Practical Electronics in about 1974 for a power amp IC which featured a, er, stereo pair concealing the bits of a lady obscured by a star in that Tokai advert, and another one for something motorcycle connected featuring Phil and Angie Read naked on a motorcycle (so nobody has to google it, he was a world champion motorcycle racer).

Ah, found the Phil and Angie one. Hoping that this isn't deemed too offensive:

tumblr_myjcsnrYZk1slfnhho1_640.jpg

PS: I feel I should add that Mrs Zero and I have always dressed appropriately when riding on a motorcycle.

Edited by tauzero
  • Haha 1