Why become a member? ×

An appreciation of supportive wives, husbands & partners

Ms. S. is incredibly supportive. Because I care for my dad in the week we don't live together, but she tolerates me keeping a bass and amp in her very nice lounge. Asxwell as keeping lots of gear there on gig weekends.

Mind you thus us my home office (I also have basses hung up in my bedroom butanaged to limit the living room to one on the wall and, ahem, six in cases...

But I am sensible, I keep my 2x12 in the hall.

20240921_131344.thumb.jpg.b8c93fa7d414f9a189225c270b014412.jpg

• Like 4

I should add, Ms. S. not only comes to some of my gigs, she never complains if I do one far away and don't get in until 3am.

But she was specially chosen for being as obsessed with live music as me, in the last ten days we have seen five gigs and been to one open mic...

369687435_10160337092939845_1878809323384160182_n.thumb.jpg.4ba21fe901a86e0b5fce048e7a7ba7d9.jpg

Edited by Stub Mandrel
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

My wife is very supportive of my gigging. We both want to travel and do other things as well, so depping is all that's in my future. I have 4 guitars on hangers in our study and usually keep a bass and a flattop on stands. 

My ex though.....I met her through the band I was in..she was best friends with the lead singer's GF. Went to gigs all the time. Once married however, she started pressing for me to quit. Stupid me, I did and sold a whole lot of great gear. That was '83, and I did not gig again until 2022. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3

20 hours ago, JazzyJ said:

My ex wife was always supportive of my involvement with music/bands etc. Then she ran off with a punter 😄.

That was 40yrs ago and I'm still looking for that someone special. My living room currently resembles a studio/rehearsal space, so I would have to re-train myself.

I've lived on my own since I was 25... I doubt I'd survive dealing with someone else and their stuff... And they'd probably struggle with me and my stuff....

Edited by zbd1960
  • Like 1

I'm really lucky. My other half lets me gig when I need to, she's happy to let me take a room for a studio, so my stuff stays out of the way - which is how I like it. I do have a PA system which keeps wandering around various corners though. She's great, although she doesn't come to gigs often as she doesn't like being places where she doesn't know anyone. The irony is, it's one of the reasons I started playing - as a way to get myself more confident to meet people!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, basexperience said:

I'm really lucky. My other half lets me gig when I need to, she's happy to let me take a room for a studio, so my stuff stays out of the way - which is how I like it. I do have a PA system which keeps wandering around various corners though. She's great, although she doesn't come to gigs often as she doesn't like being places where she doesn't know anyone. The irony is, it's one of the reasons I started playing - as a way to get myself more confident to meet people!

No offence meant..... honestly..... but I don't understand the use of the word 'let'?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cetera said:

No offence meant..... honestly..... but I don't understand the use of the word 'let'?

It’s about give and take where two people share a space, and have differing interests and priorities. I’m imagining that @basexperience allows her some latitude for her things in say, another room, or a portion of their garden or somesuch. 

Example: I don’t complain about my partners display cabinet being in the lounge because she doesn’t complain about a wall hanging bass and a cab on the floor. 

14 minutes ago, cetera said:

While it can have overtones of permission/approval, it can simply mean "doesn't give me a hard time about".  From the context of the rest of the post, I'm leaning towards the latter, rather than the former.

• Like 2