Why become a member? ×

Guitar Pro question

Eight

I'm usually more of a scrawl on notation paper kind of guy but recently started doing more transcriptions practice and decided to do it neatly in software.

Because I decided I wanted tab as well (not 100% sure why but hey), I've ended up with Guitar Pro and it does seem to be perfectly suited for the task. However, the one thing I hate (with a passion) is when detuned guitars are written in standard pitches to match the tab. I know a lot of people do it but I would personally rather see the actual notes being played.

Is there anyway in GP I can transpose the notation down a major third but leave the tab fingerings as they are? E.g. so that a 2 on the 3rd string displays a G not a B?

I have a feeling the answer will be no, but figured it was worth asking.

I've tried taking a standard tuned track, clicked on th eproperties and selected the down tuning. You get the opportunity to transpose down, sure.. but I notice than what used to be an open E for example (0 tab) now shows as a (3) so sure enough the fingering changed when I dropped 3 semi tones. Annoying!!

Yup.

*sigh* I think I'll email the developers. If not, I guess maybe I have to consider going back and trying out other options (sick of installating/uninstalling software here) like using a full scoring package. I have Finale on another machine which will probably do it as I think the tab would be a completely independent staff - but its a shame because GP seemed so good for me when it came to doing bass transcriptions with a high quality output.