Why become a member? ×

Jazz Fusion gigs

Oscar South

I just thought i'd post about a couple of gigs coming up that should be interresting for musicians.

I'm playing in an instrumental Jazz fusion group in affiliation with the Uni Chester music department, we're playing gigs in Alexanders Jazz Bar in Chester on 1st June, the 'Hanover Hotel' in Liverpool on the 2nd and Chester guildhall on the 3rd (we're only opening at that one). The Steely Dan tribute is also associated with the uni and is playing with us on all the dates.

Both groups are top class and we've been rehearsing them 6-8 hours a day for the past 3 weeks.

our set list is a mix of Fusion tracks and arrangements of Jazz and Popular songs:

Goodbye Pork Pie Hat - Stanley Clarke arrangement
Crosswinds - Billy Cobham
D.T.B - Zenith Patrol
Quiet Afternoon - Stanley Clarke
Tease - Greg Howe/Victor Wooten etc.
Snakes - Eric Clapton/Marcus Miller etc.
Josie - Larry Carlton instrumental version of Steely Dan tune
All Blues - Miles but influenced by a Larry Carlton version
Lenny - SRV
Dirty Old Man - Tom Scott
Red Baron - Billy Cobham
Sir Duke - Stevie Wonder
What is Hip? - Tower of Power
Pocket Change - Dennis Chambers?
A Day in the Life - Jeff Beck arrangement

If you're in the area of any of those they'll be well worth seeing.

Edited by Oscar South

[quote name='Oscar South' post='499283' date='May 27 2009, 08:46 PM']I just thought i'd post about a couple of gigs coming up that should be interresting for musicians.

I'm playing in an instrumental Jazz fusion group in affiliation with the Uni Chester music department, we're playing gigs in Alexanders Jazz Bar in Chester on 1st June, the 'Hanover Hotel' in Liverpool on the 2nd and Chester guildhall on the 3rd (we're only opening at that one). The Steely Dan tribute is also associated with the uni and is playing with us on all the dates.

Both groups are top class and we've been rehearsing them 6-8 hours a day for the past 3 weeks.

our set list is a mix of Fusion tracks and arrangements of Jazz and Popular songs:

Goodbye Pork Pie Hat - Stanley Clarke arrangement
Crosswinds - Billy Cobham
D.T.B - Zenith Patrol
Quiet Afternoon - Stanley Clarke
Tease - Greg Howe/Victor Wooten etc.
Snakes - Eric Clapton/Marcus Miller etc.
All Blues - Miles but influenced by a Larry Carlton version
Lenny - SRV
Dirty Old Man - Tom Scott
Red Baron - Billy Cobham
Sir Duke - Stevie Wonder
What is Hip? - Tower of Power
Pocket Change - Dennis Chambers?
A Day in the Life - Jeff Beck arrangement

If you're in the area of any of those they'll be well worth seeing.[/quote]

Really nice diverse set.......

[quote name='Oscar South' post='499283' date='May 27 2009, 08:46 PM']Alexanders Jazz Bar in Chester on 1st June,[/quote]
I did the opening night in that venue back in 1990... I was getting blisters on an old college bass playing standards with a vocal quintet, which split into two trios. Was good fun, there was another band on (The Casablanca Steps) I am now their main bass player, and Bob Monkhouse did the end of night cabaret. The vocal group went on to do a years residency there on a thurs night and I also played there with many jazz quartets (visiting artist) including with the late great Dick Morrisey, Bobby Wellins, Don Weller, Spike Robinson, and quite a few others on the british Jazz scene.
Are Christine and Rod still running the place?
Jake

Sorry I realise it's entirely OT, hope the gigs go well :)

Edited by jakesbass

[quote name='The Funk' post='499533' date='May 28 2009, 01:19 AM']Cool set list!

How does a guy who hates funk find playing in a fusion band? :rolleyes:[/quote]

I don't hate funk :), I was just overexposed to it for a while and I dislike how every other contemporary band these days dubs themselves with a funk prefix and essentially uses it as a way to genericize every groove, wear stupid glasses and/or add a cowbell to the kit.

I've no idea about the ownership of Alexanders, I'll see when I go there next, its just down the road from me so I go there prtty regularly.

Edited by Oscar South

[quote name='Oscar South' post='499612' date='May 28 2009, 09:31 AM']I don't hate funk :rolleyes:, I was just overexposed to it for a while and I dislike how every other contemporary band these days dubs themselves with a funk prefix and essentially uses it as a way to genericize every groove, wear stupid glasses and/or add a cowbell to the kit.[/quote]

:) brilliant!

I remember when funk used to be a dirty word.