Why become a member? ×

NBD - Spectorbacker.... or is it a Rickenspector.... or maybe a Kipenspector?!

cetera

American bassist, singer, songwriter, ballet dancer, classical composer and all round top bloke Kip WInger (Winger, Alice Cooper etc) has always been a personal fave of mine. A much underrated all-round musician, he has been using a custom one-off Spector for the last few years that featured a Ricky shaped body, specially created for him by Stuart Spector and PJ Rubal just before they sold to Korg.

It has never been put into public production for obvious reasons...

I absolutely loved the look of that bass and was lucky enough to hang with him a few months ago and to play it during Winger's soundcheck at London Islington Assembly Hall (see pic below).

Rickenspector.thumb.jpg.71bc1235105a71966fa001848effa5fb.jpg

Anyway, to cut a long story short, I found a Chinese faker company who would make me a copy cheaply so I took the plunge! What did I have to lose?

Well, it turned up last week and was, for the money, better than I expected! It needed some work and attention (new nut, fret end filing, new pickups/preamp and heavier duty bridge) but a quick visit to my local tech got it sorted and I debuted it on Saturday night! Visually, the control diamond layout is unequal but it's no biggie to me as it now looks, plays AND sounds great!

Total cost for build, shipping...... and my updates/improvements...... approx £450 all in. Can't complain at that and VERY pleased with the result.

Here she is:

20241007_151455.jpg

20241007_151527.jpg

Edited by cetera
  • Like 12