Why become a member? ×

Barefaced or not?

videoman

I'm not getting any younger, sadly, and I'm becoming more aware of the weight of my two superb Bergantino HD112's.  I like the clarity and punch they produce.  But Barefaced cabs get such good reviews and comments . . I'm wondering . . if I substitute the two Bergantinos with one Barefaced Super Compact Bass Cab, will I notice much difference in sound level and quality?  Amp is Genz-Benz Streamliner 900 (with Status Matrix 4 string bass).  It's almost impossible to audition anything near where I live, so any input gratefully received!

I like Barefaced cabs, had a good few of them but I’ve never found that the “this 1x12 is as good as a 4x10” thing worked for me. Their 1x12s sound like very good 1x12s to me, but averagely priced 4x10s put out much more depth of sound in my experience. As such I’d say you’ll get very good quality sound from a Super Compact but not sure if it will match the depth that you get from your two Bergs. The SC will certainly go loud though, BF cabs handle pretty much anything sent their way.

• Like 4

I replaced a Berg 312 (1 x AE112 and a CN212) with 2 x Super Compacts, and never looked back.

You are right, Bergs sound fantastic, but I also needed to go lighter and 2 x SC's were the answer. The SC's were much louder than the Bergs.

They will put out exactly what you put in, so if your amp is up to the job, you'll sound great.

• Like 2

Not BF, but I replaced my Trace 410 with two Genz Benz 112's. Love the sound and I can carry both in at the same time. I honestly don't think you are going to get a "big rig" sound out of a smaller cab, but needs must. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pete.young said:

Based on my experience with the LFSys Monza, if you're looking at a Super Compact you should also be looking at  LFSys Monaco.

I had a Monaco before my Monza and I agree. I changed as I needed a lighter cab and the Monza fitted in my car better.

• Like 4

You speak to a dilemma we probably all have - bass cabs are an arse to lug around, and in many ways weight and size is the most important criteria for something that is essentially just a personal monitor at gigs (given I've DI'ed everytime I've played for the last twenty years) and yet [insert name of favourite cab]... For me I love my Trace Elliots and am still just about young enough to carry them, but agree the Bare Faced cabs look very interesting and as good quality cabs I'm not sure I would notice much sound difference at a gig... if weight and size is important (and budget not an issue) I would just get one as I've never seen a bad review (and they certainly used to have a return/trial period - may be worth looking into).

• Like 1

If you like your existing cabs, buying a quality folding trolley is a lot cheaper than replacing them. Don't buy a Chinese 40 quid cheapie. For a little over £100, I got one that is rated to 150kg that makes shifting gear easy.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Dan Dare said:

If you like your existing cabs, buying a quality folding trolley is a lot cheaper than replacing them. Don't buy a Chinese 40 quid cheapie. For a little over £100, I got one that is rated to 150kg that makes shifting gear easy.

Good suggestion. Stretch the Bergs out for a few more years.

I've been using this Wolfcraft for over 10 years (nearer 15 years). . . .  https://www.diy.com/departments/wolfcraft-foldable-hand-truck-100kg-capacity/1483870_BQ.prd.

I sometimes use it with the Barefaced cabs.

Edited by chris_b
  • Like 2

Thank you all for taking the time to comment.  The other factor I have to consider, but didn't mention, is that I am of a certain age and may not have long left in the gigging lane!!  Thanks again. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, videoman said:

Thank you all for taking the time to comment.  The other factor I have to consider, but didn't mention, is that I am of a certain age and may not have long left in the gigging lane!!  Thanks again. 

IME you'll have longer than you think if you buy the right gear.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, videoman said:

Never say die. I'm 70 (one of the reasons I bought a good trolley) and still doing it. If you do think you may not be playing for too much longer, that's another reason not to throw a lot of money at new gear.

Edited by Dan Dare
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Dan Dare said:

. . . . that's another reason not to throw a lot of money at new gear.

That's the sensible option.

My suggestion would be to retire knowing you owned and gigged the best bass gear you could buy. . . . whatever the cost.

Edited by chris_b
  • Like 1

On 07/10/2024 at 17:48, videoman said:

I'm not getting any younger, sadly, and I'm becoming more aware of the weight of my two superb Bergantino HD112's.  I like the clarity and punch they produce.  But Barefaced cabs get such good reviews and comments . .

I was gigging a couple of Bergantino HD112s for a while, but even though I really liked the way they sounded, I thought that they were rather heavy / difficult to pick up and I didn't feel like they were that efficient. I replaced them with a Berg CN212, which I found easier to lift as well as sounding great and loud enough. 

I was one of those people who were never convinced of the original Barefaced cabs with 12" speakers. However, I know a couple of guys who use the big 610 BF cabs and they sound great, much nicer than the 12s to my ears. As I get older I may well consider getting the BF Three10 cab, which is very light at 22kg and has it's own tiltback wheels. If it makes it easier to gig if I start feeling my age then there may well come a time when I replace the CN212 with the BF 310 cab. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, chris_b said:

My suggestion would be to retire knowing you owned and gigged the best bass gear you could buy. . . . whatever the cost.

On that basis, maybe the OP should splash out on a vintage Alembic or Ken Smith...

• Haha 1

Tried them, and for me they didn't live up to the hype, certainly didn't fulfill the bold claims Alex makes. Your experience may vary. If I were in your position, I'd be looking at GR Bass if in budget, if not the newer super lightweight Markbass cabs.

• Like 2

Another vote for LFSys here.

I've just replaced two Barefaced One10s with a single LFSys Monza, the 1x10 cab.

It's only been a couple of days, but leaving all the settings as they were using the two One10s, the single Monza cab, at 8 ohms, was actually louder and had so much more punch.

It's light but solidly built, impressively so. I always find the Barefaced stuff feels a little flimsy, although they are actually pretty darned solid.

I imagine an LFSys Monaco would do the job perfectly!

• Like 3

I had a Big Twin when I was still gigging, it was the best cab I've ever used bar none, and at 55 was a one handed lift into the estate. The wheels and top handle made it very easy to run around studios and venues too.

I went FR/modelling with it very early on, Line6 Bass Pod Pro XT rack and a big QSC power-amp, and the Big Twin just amplified whatever I sent to it, and amplified it to seismic levels without a twitch.

If I was to return to playing live, it would be with a Barefaced cab, and probably a Big Twin, can't recommend them highly enough.

• Like 1

On 09/10/2024 at 15:47, chris_b said:

That's the sensible option.

That could be read as "give up now"!

(I know that's not what you meant)

• Haha 1