Why become a member? ×

How old are your oldest strung bass strings

SH73

It depends which bass, the oldest strings on one of  my basses is around ,estimated 40 years old, but could be older. They're flats on an unbranded Japanese made jazz bass with red thread on top. They are dead as a door nail. I even placed a foam under the strings by the bridge.

On the bass that I play the least, the strings arent even a year old. My job basses have strings that aren't even a week old and one will be ready to change in the next few gigs. Strings on those basses would be incredibly lucky to remain on for as long as a month when I am gigging them (lots).

• Like 2

I used to change them after about 2-3 months, but since I started using D'Addario NYXL 45105 jobs they last a lot longer - still not feeling a need to change them after a year.

They start out a little dull and don't get much duller.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Bigguy2017 said:

I used to change them after about 2-3 months, but since I started using D'Addario NYXL 45105 jobs they last a lot longer - still not feeling a need to change them after a year.

They start out a little dull and don't get much duller.

I found Elixirs the same - didn’t like the sound right from the off, but it stays the same! 
As a long time D’Addario user I think I’ll give the NYXLs a try. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, casapete said:

I found Elixirs the same - didn’t like the sound right from the off, but it stays the same! 
As a long time D’Addario user I think I’ll give the NYXLs a try. 

I bought Ernie Ball slinky about 3 years back and still sound bright. 

My Fender Precision is still wearing the same set of rounds that were on it when I switched to 5 string  basses in 1996. 

I've lost count but the set of TI flats must have been on my Mike Lull PJ5 for at least 12 years. Perfect P bass thump.

I've had a set of NYXL rounds on my Sadowsky Jazz since 2018. They sound nice and mellow, but still have a little sparkle if I crank the treble control.

Edited by chris_b

5 minutes ago, Bix said:

I have a set of Fender flats that are about 6 years old ... they've out lasted two P basses during that time, and are now on their 3rd P bass.

I love fender flats, I had mine in for about 5 years, they are not as thick as Steve Harris signature strings 

I use Elixirs and I get at least a year out of them. More if they don't see a lot of action. I tend to put the used ones on other less-used basses as there's generally a decent amount of life left in them. The ones on my fretless, acoustic and Wal basses are at least 3 years old. 

3 hours ago, Dood said:

On the bass that I play the least, the strings arent even a year old. My job basses have strings that aren't even a week old and one will be ready to change in the next few gigs. Strings on those basses would be incredibly lucky to remain on for as long as a month when I am gigging them (lots).

How the other half live!  😅 I can't imagine having the disposable income to afford new strings every other week.

Oldest strings for me will be 2 years on a set of flats on my Jazz bass.  The NYXL worn-in sound lasts me a long while to be honest, at least 6 months with gigging and longer without, but then a zingy tone is not something I go for, even if Metal would be the genre for it!