Why become a member? ×

Hi - can you guys & gals help to Identify, and, perhaps put a date on my Blonde 3/4 Double Bass, please

26 minutes ago, Beedster said:

I didn't say that ply is as good as carved, I said there's nothing inherently wrong with ply. A well designed and constructed instrument made from high quality ply will most likely be superior to a poorly designed and constructed carved bass. OK, ply tends to be used for cheaper instruments, so in many cases the construction is also less rigorous, but that's not a function of ply as a medium/material, and even given this there are some very high quality ply instruments out there 👍 

Musical snobbery (and instrument snobbery) is utterly pointless and entirely against what should be the spirit of music making.

I’ve played carved basses badly, ply basses badly and even aluminium basses badly - but I’ve had fun with other people while doing so, which is what music is about. 

For the vast majority of people and playing situations a ply bass is more than adequate. (The 100% ply David Gage Czech Ease bass I sold is going to be used on a global arena tour playing to more people in one day than many classical orchestras will reach in a year.)

Get bass. Play bass. Love bass. 

If you can afford a fully carved bass then buy one. But many of us started on (and remain fans of) basic beaten up ply basses.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

The carved vs ply discussion really depends what you're doing. If you're playing rootsy pizz or slap styles, there might not be a meaningful upgrade from a well setup, quality laminated bass. The situation is complicated by there being a lot of carved student basses that aren't all that wonderful either. And the laminated bass can be a useful working instrument in situations that would be rough on a carved bass even where it might not be the ultimate instrument for the style you're playing.

It's in classical styles and the more articulate end of jazz pizz where great carved basses can bring something that laminated basses rarely have -  otherwise, a nicely set up laminate is probably going to be fine.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Beer of the Bass said:

The carved vs ply discussion really depends what you're doing. If you're playing rootsy pizz or slap styles, there might not be a meaningful upgrade from a well setup, quality laminated bass. The situation is complicated by there being a lot of carved student basses that aren't all that wonderful either. And the laminated bass can be a useful working instrument in situations that would be rough on a carved bass even where it might not be the ultimate instrument for the style you're playing.

It's in classical styles and the more articulate end of jazz pizz where great carved basses can bring something that laminated basses rarely have -  otherwise, a nicely set up laminate is probably going to be fine.

When I owned a db many people were impressed by the volume and projection of my hybrid (solid top, laminate back, sides,1950s Czech).  Outclassed imo by a laminated bass that was in the school music room where I taught.  There seems to be such variability with most instruments it is a matter of finding what works for you and your situation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 18/10/2024 at 08:57, Burns-bass said:

The 100% ply David Gage Czech Ease bass I sold is going to be used on a global arena tour

I read ( talk bass?)  that Stan Clarke tours with a ply bass ( teats them as disposable).  But he records with a 100+ yr old carved one.

In live performance what notes you play probably counts for more than the sound ..especially if there's a pa between you and stadium!

horses for courses. 

I only have space for one double bass and ploughed all my savings into the German brute some 35 years ago so it has to do everything.  Peter and the Wolf for a church full of children today. Mingus session tomorrow.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, NickA said:

I read ( talk bass?)  that Stan Clarke tours with a ply bass ( teats them as disposable).  But he records with a 100+ yr old carved one.

In live performance what notes you play probably counts for more than the sound ..especially if there's a pa between you and stadium!

horses for courses. 

I only have space for one double bass and ploughed all my savings into the German brute some 35 years ago so it has to do everything.  Peter and the Wolf for a church full of children today. Mingus session tomorrow.

2 hours ago, NickA said:

horses for courses. 

And I bet it sounds lovely!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Burns-bass said:

And I bet it sounds lovely!

Well, comments on the article said the live sound was not great and that he sounds better on recordings.  I've never had the pleasure to hear him live myself, so I don't know.  You tube recordings are not the greatest thing, but this appears to be one of his touring basses, so an example of what a really great bass player can do with a plywood bass ( one built to his spec, I believe)

And here's his recording bass ( 3 wrong notes, bass solo 2:48 in)

A lot of it down to the sound engineer of course, and  I'd be very happy to sound like the first one 😂😂.

Way off topic. Enough. 😉

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NickA said:

Well, comments on the article said the live sound was not great and that he sounds better on recordings.  I've never had the pleasure to hear him live myself, so I don't know.  You tube recordings are not the greatest thing, but this appears to be one of his touring basses, so an example of what a really great bass player can do with a plywood bass ( one built to his spec, I believe)

And here's his recording bass ( 3 wrong notes, bass solo 2:48 in)

A lot of it down to the sound engineer of course, and  I'd be very happy to sound like the first one 😂😂.

Way off topic. Enough. 😉

I meant your bass probably sounds lovely!

I’ve had the same bass for 21 years and it’s amazing. Love every inch of it.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Well I love my bass.  It sounds how, to me, a double bass should sound.  Big, fat, rich and sonorous with lots of sustain.  Glad I bought the best I could afford at the time.

No big resale value as it's big, it has an Eflat neck and it's a bit beat up.  But I'd have to spend a lot of money to get anything I liked as much.

• Thanks 1