Why become a member? ×

Hi from South East London

TheMoose

Hello everyone!

I've picked the bass back up this year after about 25 years. It's probably a midlife crisis but I'm loving the learning journey and starting to pick up the courage to connect/jam with other musicians.

I'm still using the basses that I had back in the 90s (a Vigier Passion ii fretless and a Bass Collection SB301 but through a new Blackstar decktop micro amp). I'm planning to sell / trade them in for Jazz Bass and new amp. 

I play anything with a groove. I love old soul, disco, funk and some modern sythn-based stuff like Dabeull.

Nice to be here!

Tom

Vigier 6.jpg

unnamed.jpg

Edited by TheMoose
Added info on what I like to play
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, songofthewind said:

My in-laws live in Camberwell Grove. I love the area. Do you know Nandine's on Vestry Road and on Church Street?

Camberwell Grove, there’s posh! I remember Vestry Road, but Nandine’s is after my time.

17 hours ago, ezbass said:

Camberwell Grove, there’s posh! I remember Vestry Road, but Nandine’s is after my time.

I remember when there were loads of squats on Camberwell Grove, but it was still posh!  Didn't Joe Jackson live there when he was at his height of fame?

1 hour ago, Mykesbass said:

I remember when there were loads of squats on Camberwell Grove, but it was still posh!  Didn't Joe Jackson live there when he was at his height of fame?

I don’t know about that, but Kenneth Branagh and Emma Thompson lived there, when they were a couple.

47 minutes ago, TheMoose said:

Thanks all. I’m in East Dulwich, just down the road from Camberwell. Elaine Chase (of Crossroads fame) still lives on Camberwell Grove!

My first wife lived in East Dulwich (off of East Dulwich Grove) as did two of my school chums (off Dog Kennel Hill). I had my very first pint in the Lord Palmerston on Lordship Lane and was a regular in The Forester’s.

43 minutes ago, ezbass said:

I don’t know about that, but Kenneth Branagh and Emma Thompson lived there, when they were a couple.

My first wife lived in East Dulwich (off of East Dulwich Grove) as did two of my school chums (off Dog Kennel Hill). I had my very first pint in the Lord Palmerston on Lordship Lane and was a regular in The Forester’s.

What was the pub at the bottom of Dog Kennel Hill that I would have seen Steve Waller playing in? Cherry Tree? 

11 minutes ago, Mykesbass said:

What was the pub at the bottom of Dog Kennel Hill that I would have seen Steve Waller playing in? Cherry Tree? 

That would have been a Sunday lunchtime gig Mike and the Cherry Tree was one of my earliest gigs with Steve Waller....the band usually consisted of Steve, Dave Early on drums (RIP, played with Sade), Frank Mead on sax, me on bass, keys and more horn players. 12-2pm opening times.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mybass said:

That would have been a Sunday lunchtime gig Mike and the Cherry Tree was one of my earliest gigs with Steve Waller....the band usually consisted of Steve, Dave Early on drums (RIP, played with Sade), Frank Mead on sax, me on bass, keys and more horn players. 12-2pm opening times.

Funny to think I may have seen you all those years prior to actually meeting you!

7 hours ago, KK Jale said:

I see Frank Mead now and then playing with Charlie Hart and the Equators. He always gives it the beans.

I'm on Camberwell Grove incidentally, I do my best to bring the place down a bit. 

Frank is also out playing with ‘Slim Chance’, Charlie is in it as well.

Ah, thanks guys. It’s nice to feel so welcome. The cherry tree is still there but there doesn’t seem to be any live music there anymore, sadly. 

@Richard R I’m selling as I need to free up money for a bass and amp. I’ve always played narrow necked basses as I thought I didn’t have big enough hands to handle a proper bass (I started on a short scale - my band mates used to call it a Fisher Price bass!). I’d always aspired to have a Warwick bass but I played a Jazz Bass recently and it felt great, so easy to play.  My bass collection is really nice to play (you get used to whatever you have) but it is really quiet. 

• Like 1