Why become a member? ×

It's the little things (a NBD adjustment type post)

colleya

I bought a rather lovely Maruszczyk Jake 5 string from @Gareth Hughes of this parish a couple of weeks back.

It's a longer scale than my Sandberg, has a bigger body, much wider string spacing and is heavier. I've even got different gauge strings on it.

IMG-20241002-WA0005.thumb.jpeg.3fcada08c70937ec668ed1f1726c9c14.jpeg

None of this has bothered me at all.

However, the side dot fret markers are on the fret line, rather than in the middle. It completely threw me off.

IMG20241012220237.thumb.jpg.e600a99087e3a95af5df81e5ae6d3609.jpg

Had to buy stick on dots after repeatedly cocking up at rehearsal.

Sounds very nice though.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/11QZ3vcLVRAFGT_jyQAu1V1htqt-gYIPX/view?usp=drivesdk

I have a lined fretless bass that I had to have the dots moved to where the fretlines were as I didn't get on with them between the lines (and I don't look at the fingerboard when playing).

I also have an SRF705 fretless which has small edge markings for each fret position and dot markers between the edge markings. I get on with that fine.

The assistant to the runner of the open mic I go to has a Squier bass which was originally fretless but which he had fretted, so the fret markers are at the frets, like the OP's. I've played it a few times and, like the OP, the dots rather confuse me.

On 12/10/2024 at 23:07, colleya said:

However, the side dot fret markers are on the fret line, rather than in the middle. It completely threw me off.

IMG20241012220237.thumb.jpg.e600a99087e3a95af5df81e5ae6d3609.jpg

Was this a fretless bass that later had frets installed? The lack of position markers on the front might be an indication too. If they were installed at a later moment, whoever did it did a beautiful job keeping the fret tangs hidden from the side, as to not interfere with the side dots. 

Edited by LeftyJ
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Grahambythesea said:

That does seem rather strange on a fretted bass, maybe it was originally a fretless?

I genuinely don't know, although I've not come across it before on a fretted bass so it does seem plausible.

The pickup config is also non standard, so that might also suggest a custom order.

Might try to email Maruszczyk and get the original specs