Why become a member? ×

New Frank Bello Spector bass!!!!

Brian18242

I agree somewhat with what you are saying. To me, it kinda looks like a variation on the Coda bass but taking inspiration from his previous Charvel/Esp models. I like the body shape and new headstock but it's certainly not screaming Spector! 

If it comes in at £1000 Ish pounds it maybe quite popular but if it goes for anything more, it may be a hard pass.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

Why move to Spector if you're going to subtract almost everything identifiably Spector?

Because I imagine Spector was the only artist deal on the table good enough! 

But I agree, what on earth is the point.  I'd like to think if I "made it" I wouldn't just go with a brand for the money.  

A reverse P pickup would have made all the difference for me. I like everything else about it apart from the colour.

A Spector rock bass with that overall styling has great potential, but, for my taste, they needed to do something to give it some uniquely-Spector DNA.  

11 hours ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

The body shape does look like an old Spector model, the name of which escapes me... late 90s, possibly?

1 hour ago, cetera said:

Hamer Cruise meets Guild Pilot. Non-Reverse P pickup (doh!) and block inlays.

Could be ANY brand. Nothing Spector about it....

Not for me, ta.

Put me out of my misery - what bass am I thinking of? Spector, Jazz-esque body, late 90s/early 2000s.

If anyone knows it'll be you. Or PJ Rubal but I don't think he's on here 😄

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

Put me out of my misery - what bass am I thinking of? Spector, Jazz-esque body, late 90s/early 2000s.

If anyone knows it'll be you. Or PJ Rubal but I don't think he's on here 😄

Obviously there was the Coda bass which was a very traditional jazz style bass.

Maybe the BOB bass?

https://reverb.com/item/21662463-spector-bass-bob-5-made-in-usa-stuart-spector-design

Edited by cetera
  • Thanks 1

The headstock looks like a 5 string headstock which has been stretched and skewed to fit the four in a row tuners. Which just looks wrong!

The body I thought was perhaps NS-94 shaped with a change to the lower horn, but maybe the top horn isn't quite that shape either.

As previously mentioned, when the bass is officially announced and specs shared, I think Spector could be on to a winner. I much prefer this headstock compared to the Coda, but the big question will be the price point. From a previous post, this is a prototype bass so no doubt some elements will change, although I don't think they need to 😉

I reached out to the Spector about this and it is a USA built prototype that he has been playing alongside several Euro CST and Classic basses.

They are expecting this to be a Euro or Korea Spector in the end.

Watch this space I guess? :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3