Why become a member? ×

Classic Vibe quandary

Panamajack666

Hi all, 

First post here on Bass chat, nice to meet you all! I've been a lurker for a while! 

I have a classic vibe jazz bass (70s) which I like but it's pretty heavy coming in at 10.5lbs. However, I love the neck on it which has some lovely Birdseye in it and it feels great. I'd argue the finish quality on the neck is better than my 1 of 46 AVRI jazz!

I really dislike the weight as I suffer with a bad back and it's painful after a long gig! It sounds great though...

Considering my options... Do I just go buy or swap for a P Bass with someone or alternatively, just find a lighter body for the Jazz? 

I cannot stress how much I love the neck on the jazz and I'm not bothered about stuff like resale value. I'd probably prefer a P Bass.

I was recently swooning over Capri orange Japanese p bass which I think someone on here owns...

Is there anywhere anyone can recommend that sells finished Jazz/P Bass bodies?

Also, show me yer classic vibe bass's whilst I'm here! 😍

PXL_20240715_132832055.jpg

• Like 1

If you like the neck, put together a bass around it rather than get a completely different bass which might not have as nice a neck.

Here is my bass.  The neck is lovely to play and is from a Classic Vibe Late 60s jazz.  The body is from a Vintage Modified PJ; it's agathis and is particularly light.  With Hipshot Ultralites the complete bass is 3.1kg and balances fine.

2000.DSCF7740.thumb.jpg.44b61872a97942293db779b5dc2b837a.jpg

• Like 7

12 hours ago, jrixn1 said:

If you like the neck, put together a bass around it rather than get a completely different bass which might not have as nice a neck.

Here is my bass.  The neck is lovely to play and is from a Classic Vibe Late 60s jazz.  The body is from a Vintage Modified PJ; it's agathis and is particularly light.  With Hipshot Ultralites the complete bass is 3.1kg and balances fine.

2000.DSCF7740.thumb.jpg.44b61872a97942293db779b5dc2b837a.jpg

I love the look of this! This is exactly what I need really - it's just sourcing the body that's difficult I s'pose! I like the look of the store GJones has posted but I'm not thrilled at the thought of paying import fees etc

36 minutes ago, Panamajack666 said:

it's just sourcing the body that's difficult I s'pose!

One approach is to buy a complete bass and then sell the neck on. Apparently the poplar-bodied Squier Sonic precisions are lightweight.  E.g. https://www.basschat.co.uk/topic/497371-nbd-squier-sonic-p/ 

Or perhaps https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/176592471436 which says 3.7kg.

Ultralites will further reduce the weight by about 150g and improve the overall balance which is important with light bodies - https://btnmusic.co.uk/products/hipshot-licensed-hb6-ultralite-bass-machine-heads?variant=47499564253508

• Like 1

Warmoth sell separate parts or can build them to your spec. They even show the weight of the bodies already in stock. Only ever heard good things from those that have bought them.

Also P bass bodies can be just as heavy as J bass bodies.

Edited by OliverBlackman
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jrixn1 said:

One approach is to buy a complete bass and then sell the neck on. Apparently the poplar-bodied Squier Sonic precisions are lightweight.  E.g. https://www.basschat.co.uk/topic/497371-nbd-squier-sonic-p/ 

Or perhaps https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/176592471436 which says 3.7kg.

Ultralites will further reduce the weight by about 150g and improve the overall balance which is important with light bodies - https://btnmusic.co.uk/products/hipshot-licensed-hb6-ultralite-bass-machine-heads?variant=47499564253508

I quite like this idea - I didn't know that the poplar body Squiers tend to be light, some good wisdom there. It will help in trying to narrow down what to buy!

1 hour ago, neepheid said:

Has anyone asked what kind of strap is being used?  You know, before the rush to mod this, and mod that...

Yeah, it's a fair point. I've come from a guitar background so was using thin vintage style guitar straps. However, they obviously proved to be an issue fairly quickly so I've gone to a wideish suede strap which has helped massively...

However, even with that, my back was killing me after a 2+ hour gig the other week which has prompted me to seek alternatives.

I don't have the same issues with my full fat American Jazz Bass

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, OliverBlackman said:

Warmoth sell separate parts or can build them to your spec. They even show the weight of the bodies already in stock. Only ever heard good things from those that have bought them.

Also P bass bodies can be just as heavy as J bass bodies.

This is another great point - I've had Warmoth guitars before. I didn't realise they listed the weight on the website!

Yeah, I understand Jazz and P bodies will be similar generally. There are boat anchors in both variants!

44 minutes ago, Panamajack666 said:

... so I've gone to a wideish suede strap which has helped massively...

However, even with that, my back was killing me after a 2+ hour gig the other week...

You'll probably get a lot of strap suggestions as well as for bodies, donor bass models, etc. I'll just say that I have used a "Comfort Strapp" for decades with many basses of various weights and have never had any back issues. They are made of elastic and thick neoprene and I wouldn't use anything else. You'll probably want the XL size though, and I don't wear mine very low.

Excellent call by @neepheid and a very cheap option to explore 👍

2 hours ago, neepheid said:

Has anyone asked what kind of strap is being used?  You know, before the rush to mod this, and mod that...

Yes, try one knitted by pixies from

purest spider web, with buckles and fittings made from fairy-silver. Or one with a fender badge on it, which is much the same thing 

3 minutes ago, Geek99 said:

Yes, try one knitted by pixies from

purest spider web, with buckles and fittings made from fairy-silver. Or one with a fender badge on it, which is much the same thing 

Now now, dinna be flippant, we are actually trying to help here... ;)

4 hours ago, Panamajack666 said:

Yeah, it's a fair point. I've come from a guitar background so was using thin vintage style guitar straps. However, they obviously proved to be an issue fairly quickly so I've gone to a wideish suede strap which has helped massively...

However, even with that, my back was killing me after a 2+ hour gig the other week which has prompted me to seek alternatives.

I don't have the same issues with my full fat American Jazz Bass

I use Mono Betty straps and thoroughly reccomend them.

Edited by StingRayBoy42
  • Like 1

I had 2 Classic Vibe P basses. And both were absolutely lovely basses. The necks on both were really really nice, particularly on the earliest model (China made) pale blue P.

I think the approach of keeping the neck you like, and finding a lightweight body to use it with, is a good solution.

If you have a P and a J body, from the same factory, made of the same wood, usually the J body would be slightly heavier, due to its size & shape. Sorry if this sounds obvious.... If you like a hint of J sound, then you could seek out a Squier PJ body. Perhaps even adapt that to take 2x J pickups, if that's your thing? EDIT: There is a PJ model in the Indonesian "Vintage Modified" series.

I've owned a couple of Jazz basses, the lightest being a lovely Roadworn series. I'm sure I once spotted lightweight bass bodies on eBay? But you could look at the suggestion above, and enquire about chambering the one you have.

Let us know how you get on.

Edited by Marc S