Why become a member? ×

Wanting to learn music theory

Can anyone recommend a good online course (most courses I've found are expensive) or book for music theory when it comes to the bass?

Im currently reading Music Theory for The Bass Player by Ariane Cap but have already found it a struggle very early on answering questions regarding finding the same note on two adjacent strings

Edited by FretsOnFire

4 minutes ago, FretsOnFire said:

... book for music theory when it comes to the bass? ...

They don't come much better than this, and at an unbeatable low cost ...

Hal Leonard Bass Method, Complete Edition ...

image.png.9bcf60d5fbcec573d9e8ed2486c6e186.png

Note the spiral binding, allowing it to lie flat.

Note also that if you get stuck on any point on theory, ask here; you'll get help. :friends:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

If you can afford it Scott’s Bass Lessons has an absolutely fantastic module by Philip Mann on Theory, in depth, in full, really well explained and delivered, made it very easy for me to understand and there are downloadable workbooks to help keep track. 

Highly recommended!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

There are 3 books in this series:

https://www.basslinepublishing.com/product/the-bass-guitarists-guide-to-reading-music-beginner-level/

I found them very useful when learning to read music.

I also bought a bunch of exam example pieces for Double Bass and Trombone and just ignored any mention of bows and slide position.

Like this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1860960340/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The secret about reading is to do little and often. You'll make far more progress doing 10 mins a day rather than 90 minutes in one sitting at the weekend. The brain needs the repetition to work - just like any other language.

A difficulty in learning to read well is going back to older pieces that you already know - are you reading or remembering them? So books of short sight reading tests with dozens of example makes sure you are reading and not remembering.

Good luck with your studies! Being able to read really does open up the instrument and gig opportunities.

I didn't bother for years and then got a gig with a Big Band (20+ horns / reeds / piano / drums etc) and I was so out of my depth. I was the one who always said "I'll take the music home and have it nailed by next week" rather than being able to play it there. I didn't like being the odd one out! I did 6 years with that band and by the end got quite competent.... mostly in flat keys due to all the transposing instruments! I'm still rubbish at reading the sharp keys!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1