Why become a member? ×

Dodgy Precision

ash

Contacted E bay about this....they said it doesn't go against their standards...usual crap. Contacted the seller who insists it's a genuine Fender. He asked me to tell him why it wasn't! Where do you start! Then said what do you think it's worth then? I told him £50 on a good day! But change the listing and start low. He has put it up again at same price stating again it's genuine. Buyer beware blah blah blah!

• Sad 1

If I were ever to hit my head and find myself wanting a P, the amount of fakes would completely put me off as I wouldn't be confident of spotting a fake.

However, in this case, wouldn't one expect to see a serial number somewhere if it was genuine - neckplate or headstock?

On 15/10/2024 at 20:02, tauzero said:

If I were ever to hit my head and find myself wanting a P, the amount of fakes would completely put me off as I wouldn't be confident of spotting a fake.

A problem with all Fenders, with their all-bolted construction. It's so easy to screw a load of parts together and make a few solder joints. I've always thought it likely that many "custom" builders use parts from Warmoth and similar to create "custom" Strats, etc. Sure, they will iron out any rough edges and finish them nicely, but essentially, they are offering assembled kit guitars, often at high prices.

I'd certainly be wary of any bargain "Fender". Buying new is the safest option, or if used, from a dealer. Then you have some redress.