Why become a member? ×

What bag do you take your 'other shizz' to gigs in (merch float/mics/multitool/spare shirt/cables/sharpies/batteries/rum/etc)

andydye

As it says really, I've been using a very floppy messenger bag for a while now and it's on it's way out, i've had a few frustrations with it (floppiness/not quite big enough/doesn't keep rain out for starters) and wondered if anyone has any insights on the 'perfect' bag for carrying your shizz to gigs?

product links and user reviews welcome

39 minutes ago, Rosie C said:

I have one of these heavy canvas tool bags - mine is the 450mm and has my spare signal and power cables. It's sort of rubberised on the inside so I expect it's waterproof:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0001IWI4W/

81-68cZBjYL._AC_SL1500_-2.jpg

well, I'm sold, thankee and problem solved (hopefully)

...that was quick :) go BC!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, andydye said:

As it says really, I've been using a very floppy messenger bag for a while now and it's on it's way out, i've had a few frustrations with it (floppiness/not quite big enough/doesn't keep rain out for starters) and wondered if anyone has any insights on the 'perfect' bag for carrying your shizz to gigs?

product links and user reviews welcome

I've just been using a variety of smallish Gator bags.  I've got one (12"x12x5.5" - bought ten years ago), that will snugly hold my (class-d) amp and it has front pockets which are adequate enough to hold Speakon/power cables.  If I need to take anything else, I'll just take a bigger version of the same bag.

Gator bags are competitively priced, incredibly well made, decently padded, robust zips, spacious in a TARDIS like way.  (God, I should work in marketing for them.)

Here you go:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gator-G-MIXERBAG-1212-5-5-Inch-Mixer-Gear-dp-B00T0OJG5M/dp/B00T0OJG5M/ref=dp_ob_title_ce

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, NancyJohnson said:

I've just been using a variety of smallish Gator bags.  I've got one (12"x12x5.5" - bought ten years ago), that will snugly hold my (class-d) amp and it has front pockets which are adequate enough to hold Speakon/power cables.  If I need to take anything else, I'll just take a bigger version of the same bag.

Gator bags are competitively priced, incredibly well made, decently padded, robust zips, spacious in a TARDIS like way.  (God, I should work in marketing for them.)

Here you go:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gator-G-MIXERBAG-1212-5-5-Inch-Mixer-Gear-dp-B00T0OJG5M/dp/B00T0OJG5M/ref=dp_ob_title_ce

oh but I do like the Gator bags too, they are robust and nicely made as well as looking the biz and also looking like musician's bags

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, andydye said:

oh but I do like the Gator bags too, they are robust and nicely made as well as looking the biz and also looking like musician's bags

My old one is great, but the lining is nightmareish if you have a hangnail (it just makes the hairs on my arms stand up even thinking about this!).  They've changed the interior finish, thankfully.

• Like 1

When I was last gigging, all my cables/batteries/strings/spares etc. went into a nylon zipped bag that went into the back of the 4u rack that housed the pre/power amp.

Everything else went into a Brenthaven laptop backpack, had it for nearly 25 years, still going strong.

I used to use a leather suitcase back when I thought I might be cool, then a custom flight case that housed everything in drawers.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, WinterMute said:

When I was last gigging, all my cables/batteries/strings/spares etc. went into a nylon zipped bag that went into the back of the 4u rack that housed the pre/power amp.

Everything else went into a Brenthaven laptop backpack, had it for nearly 25 years, still going strong.

I used to use a leather suitcase back when I thought I might be cool, then a custom flight case that housed everything in drawers.

I used to run a shallow 4U rack, tuner, Sansamp and a 2U Poweramp.  On the back I had a 1U PSU.  Everything was hardwired in including a wireless unit, there was even a convenient short XLR extension out of the Sansamp that made it a breeze to squirt my signal to FoH.  Speakons were always jacked into the Poweramp.  It was also a good place to put your keys/phone while playing.

I'd agree that having everything tucked away in there was kind of dreamy; coil up the leads, pop all the little bits in a small plastic box, put the lid on and you knew nothing was missing and it would all get home safely.

Happy days.

• Like 2

leads and pedals in my pedalboard, power leads in my 4U rack case with the head - basses in cases/gigbags.

I can't stand bits of stuff floating around, so everything has to go in boxes for me.

Recently I've come to rely on an ipad for charts, so that comes with me in a messenger bag, but radiohead said it best: everything in its right place.

For open mic nights & rehearsals, a small fishing tackle bag which holds Lekato wireless, A-B box, Zoom MS-60B, spare batteries, Allen keys, capo, screwdriver with swappable ends, short jack-jack leads.

For gigs, PA leads (XLR & IEC & mains extensions) in a suitcase with wheels and tablets, tablet holder, microphone, towel, spare T-shirt, USB charger in a Spada messenger bag.