Why become a member? ×

USB charging 9v batteries

JoeEvans

I bought one of those rechargeable 9V batteries the other day that have a USB C socket right there in the battery, so you can just plug it in without needing a charger. Great item in itself, but it occurred to me that you could wire it to a socket on the back of a bass, so that you wouldn't need to open the back and take the battery out to charge it. Has anyone done this?

1 hour ago, JoeEvans said:

I bought one of those rechargeable 9V batteries the other day that have a USB C socket right there in the battery, so you can just plug it in without needing a charger. Great item in itself, but it occurred to me that you could wire it to a socket on the back of a bass, so that you wouldn't need to open the back and take the battery out to charge it. Has anyone done this?

Don't tell everyone, Patent your idea.🤐

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, TimR said:

KUOQIY 6 PCS USB Type C Soldering Panel Mount Female Cable, 3A 2 Wire Type C Female USB-C with LED light, 2 Pin Type-C Female Power Jack with 150mm 24 AWG Wire, with Dust Covers and Nuts https://amzn.eu/d/7pBnEM5

No cigar.

OP needs a female USB or USB-C panel mount with male USB-C plug on cable to go to the battery on the other side of the panel.

24 minutes ago, Downunderwonder said:

No cigar.

OP needs a female USB or USB-C panel mount with male USB-C plug on cable to go to the battery on the other side of the panel.

Yep. But you wont be able to buy a ready made lead like that. He now just needs an inline USB C plug and solder it on to the two wires. The difficult part (panel mount) is done there for him. 

I'd advise seeing how the battery works before modifying the instrument - I bought a couple of these PUJIMAX branded batteries earlier this year and I have found they aren't really anywhere like 1200mAh they state on the label (which in itself is a 'fake' of the old FujiMax one) and don't last very long, because they have the charging circuit board inside so they have less actual cells than the old 600mAh batteries I have and don't last as long as the old ones do even after a few years use. I also found that like many simple lithium cell devices you can't use them whilst being charged, so you might not be able to charge the battery in the device whilst the battery is plugged in

21 minutes ago, Aidan63 said:

I'd advise seeing how the battery works before modifying the instrument - I bought a couple of these PUJIMAX branded batteries earlier this year and I have found they aren't really anywhere like 1200mAh they state on the label (which in itself is a 'fake' of the old FujiMax one) and don't last very long, because they have the charging circuit board inside so they have less actual cells than the old 600mAh batteries I have and don't last as long as the old ones do even after a few years use. I also found that like many simple lithium cell devices you can't use them whilst being charged, so you might not be able to charge the battery in the device whilst the battery is plugged in

The 9v on an active bass should be out of circuit when its lead is unplugged. 

Active bass batteries last months. 

Although I'd agree, modifying the bass to fit a plug seems a bit OTT. Why not just buy two batteries and modify the bass to have a quick release compartment for the battery. It's not like you'll be charging it every day/week/month. 

I've bought a couple of these, but to use in Variaxes which take 6xAA batteries when on open mic nights, so high consumption but short duration. I haven't yet assessed how long they last for.

It would be a bit tricky adding a charging cable when there's a separate battery compartment as there wouldn't be room for the plug in the battery compartment, or for the socket in the lid, and generally the hole between control cavity and battery compartment would be too small to pass the plug through so that solution is also precluded. Single compartments (eg later Warwicks) would be more feasible. But if the battery lasts a few months, it's not exactly onerous to take it out for a recharge now and again.

12 hours ago, Bigguy2017 said:

Cigar!