Why become a member? ×

Egg Punk?

Has anyone come across the genere 'egg punk?'

I heard the term for the first time last night listening to the 60 cycle hum podcast. It seems to be a sub genre of punk harking back to the late 70s and came about recently due to an internet meme. It seems to be based on a lo-fi aesthetic using fuzzy guitar and cheesy keyboard along with wacky lyrics to make a sound not unlike Devo.

Apart from the name, it appeals to me and I'm going to have a go at making a few tracks in this genre. It has also been known as devo-core.

As it seems to be mainly a US based thing perhaps there is scope for a UK specific sub genre. Any suggestions for what this could be called?

1 hour ago, Jean-Luc Pickguard said:

As it seems to be mainly a US based thing perhaps there is scope for a UK specific sub genre. Any suggestions for what this could be called?

"Egg with Soldiers Punk"?

The specific English term "eggs with soldiers" appears to date from the 1960s. The modern phrase first appeared in print in 1966 in British writer Nicolas Freeling's novel The Dresden Green.