Why become a member? ×

Fender Mustang Bass always on full volume!

7 minutes ago, PaulThePlug said:

Doesnt look like any links across the pot casings to the jack, relying on the metal plate...

Are the In and Out white wire tags of the vol pot linked? Shouldn't be but half looks like it from the pic

Thanks,

The in and out white wire tags on volume pot are NOT linked.

I think you're correct regarding the only link from pot casings to the jack is the metal plate.

The nut on the jack socket did loosen up a little a while ago and I did tighten it, although that predates the volume pot problem by several weeks.

I'll tighten the nut again.

But would the lack of grounding from pots to the socket cause permanent full volume?

Looks joined/touching to me, but I'm only going by your photo and you said they're not joined, so I dunno.  The easiest way to explain full volume all the time is that the volume pot is being jumped out of the circuit and the hot from the pickup is going straight to the output jack somehow.

image.png.433346e67f39c396e1115992e199fdc0.png

Edited by neepheid

48 minutes ago, neepheid said:

Looks joined/touching to me, but I'm only going by your photo and you said they're not joined, so I dunno.  The easiest way to explain full volume all the time is that the volume pot is being jumped out of the circuit and the hot from the pickup is going straight to the output jack somehow.

image.png.433346e67f39c396e1115992e199fdc0.png

Thanks for that.

My eyesight is not what it was but the joints definitely look not touching/joined to my eyes.

However, when I re-attached the plate initially the problem was gone!

But I then discovered I could get the problem to re-occur if I wiggled the volume pot.

So presumably, even though they look not touching or joined when the plate is off, they are close enough to make contact when the vol pot is wiggled against the screwed down plate.

If so, I need to resolder those two joints, keeping them apart. Is that likely to be correct?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, EssentialTension said:

Thanks for that.

My eyesight is not what it was but the joints definitely look not touching/joined to my eyes.

However, when I re-attached the plate initially the problem was gone!

But I then discovered I could get the problem to re-occur if I wiggled the volume pot.

So presumably, even though they look not touching or joined when the plate is off, they are close enough to make contact when the vol pot is wiggled against the screwed down plate.

If so, I need to resolder those two joints, keeping them apart. Is that likely to be correct?

You might need to run a soldering iron down the middle of them to break it up if they are joined (but I can't see how that is possible by accident) - more like they're just close enough that they're touching - in that case some firm "you should be **there**" movement should be enough. Just pry them apart enough so they stay apart and you should be fine.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, neepheid said:

You might need to run a soldering iron down the middle of them to break it up if they are joined (but I can't see how that is possible by accident) - more like they're just close enough that they're touching - in that case some firm "you should be **there**" movement should be enough. Just pry them apart enough so they stay apart and you should be fine.

Thanks.

It looks like the jack socket ground isn't connected, but the black wire is going to the join between socket and control plate instead. If that's the case, I'd move the black wire from where it currently is and solder it to the jack socket terminal for the sleeve - the terminal on the left of the socket in your first photo.

• Thanks 1

On 16/10/2024 at 14:19, EssentialTension said:

I'd go New Pot... some times a bump on the knob (!) Can cause the pot internals to loosen.

If ya like the sound and volume action go like for like.

A Log, B Lin taper, 250k?

• Thanks 1