Why become a member? ×

Your best (and worst!) bass gear purchases of 2024?

Al Krow

2 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Oooh some great bits of kit coming up on here already...Be even better if you all added some cool pics of your aforementioned kit? 😊

Jesus, heard of Google?  I've given you the product names, what more do you want?  Don't be so "insta" ;)

• Haha 1

The best purchase this year for me has been my Shure GLXD6+ system to replace an ageing Sennheiser system that I’ve had since the 00’s..

The worst was probably some BlackSmith coated strings from Amazon, Someone had mentioned them on here so I thought I’d give them a go…Unfortunately they sounded dead, straight out of the packet.

Great it you want that kind of sound, but I was expecting at least some ‘zing’?

Notable mentions shouldn’t also go to the s/h pedals I bought to build up my ‘back-up’ pedalboard, purchased from here or e-bay…

EBS Microbass2

EBS Multicomp

TC Polytune2

IMG_1260.jpeg

Best - 1997 Warwick Streamer Pro-M bought from RichTone in Sheffield. Back playing a Warwick after over a decade without. It’s glorious.

Special mention goes out to Jon Shuker for refretting my 74 Jazz Bass.  Did a bloody marvellous job of it. Top bloke.

Worst - Nux Atlantic. Just poor.

@neepheid I’ve got a Digitech Bass Synth Wah if you’re interested. 

Edited by mike f
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Best : Laney Digbeth Preamp. 

Relatively inexpensive and nicely toned for my current needs. A useful addition.

Runner up Lakland Shoreline SL44-94 fretless.

Japanese version of the Skyline 44-02. Difficult to find as an original fretless in my limited experience. 

Worst: Over-priced stuff with a Fender logo.

• Like 1

Best: Boss Waza Air Bass - sounds great and has changed the way I practice.  So much so that I've now got a very nice Berg cabinet at home that is essentially now just a stand for other stuff.

Worst: No poor quality items but I bought a Torpedo CAB M+ that I quickly realised I didn't need and moved on at a loss.

Edited by gazhowe

8 minutes ago, KingPrawn said:

Best is my Apollo x8 Gen 2. Enough said

worst. various bass straps. Really struggling to find the right fit for me

Another good purchase for me this year was a 4” wide leather strap from The Bass Gallery. Really comfortable. I bought 2 of the same over 10 years ago and they are still going strong. 

Best for me was probably a Genzler 350 head. Worst was a supposedly reputable guitar repair guy who wrecked one of my basses when I took it in for some mods. I won’t mention any names but if you’re thinking of having any repair work done in the Greenwich / Woolwich area, I recommend looking elsewhere.. All fixed now but lesson learnt - use only people you really trust for mods and repairs!

10 minutes ago, DF Shortscale said:

Best for me was probably a Genzler 350 head. Worst was a supposedly reputable guitar repair guy who wrecked one of my basses when I took it in for some mods. I won’t mention any names but if you’re thinking of having any repair work done in the Greenwich / Woolwich area, I recommend looking elsewhere.. All fixed now but lesson learnt - use only people you really trust for mods and repairs!

Shame you had to go through that. Even living the other end of the country I will only go to the bass gallery