Why become a member? ×

Recommend me a wireless system

Twigman

I'm after a wireless connection between my bass and my pedal board so I can strut around without getting tangled in my cable.

There seem to be many options.

I'd like one where the Tx doesn't stick out too far from the bass - my favourite bass is my EBMM USA Sterling 4HH - the output jack is on the bottom edge - i don't want the wireless Tx to be sticking out for perhaps my leg to get caught on it - so flush to the body would be good.

Batteries: I'd like them to be rechargeable and be able to cope for at least 5 hours between charges.

Ideally I'd like the Rx to be on my pedalboard and run off the pedal board power supply. (T-Rex Chameleon - so 9V/12V/18V DC or 12V AC)

Range: I'd like a reliable range of tens of metres ideally.

I'd like the system to not require a radio licence in UK/EU or USA.

Is there such a package?

Link me up with your recommendations please.

TIA

Edited by Twigman

1 hour ago, Twigman said:

Shure GLXD16+ seems to tick all my boxes........any feedback from anyone who has this system? - Where do you put the Tx?

Yes, I've got the GLXD16 and it works great, by far the best wireless system I've ever had (and I've had a few). Not sure what you mean by Tx, but the Shure has a transmitter that you attach to your guitar strap and a lead from that plugs into the jack socket of the guitar. 

I've used a Boss WL-20 for a few years now I like the fact that the transmitter plugs straight into the bass, no faffing around with a cable to the transmitter when it is mounted separately, there's a right angled adapter supplied so it doesn't stick out on, say, a P bass. Recharging both units is done with a USB charger, like a phone.

The only downside I found is it is line of sight so if something gets in the way it cuts out

• Like 1

I use a Nux system, pretty much the same as the Boss WL-20 but the jacks are foldable so the unit can rest against the body of the bass (or against the side of an effects pedal). Works on 5.8 so no interference. I like it, comes with a nice little carry-box too.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Twigman said:

Shure GLXD16+ seems to tick all my boxes........any feedback from anyone who has this system? - Where do you put the Tx?

It's a great system. Adds a tuner to your pedal board, too. The 'Tx' has a belt clip but i keep mine in a pouch attached to my guitar strap. 

• Like 1

If you want a rechargeable bug-type system (i.e. no lead to transmitter pack) I prefer the Sennheiser xsw-d pedalboard set over the Line 6 G10s and Boss WL transmitters as the bug on the Sennheiser can fold to less than 90 degrees from the jack so it doesn't stick out as much. I've used both types with my Stingrays. The Sennheiser has a built in tuner on the pedalboard receiver and is built like a tank. 

Of the jack>lead>transmitter systems the Shure GLXD16+ system get lots of positive reviews and has a tuner on the receiver.  I'm using a Sennheiser EW-D system at the moment and it's very good but it's a half-rack type receiver with no tuner. 

Edited by gazhowe

Of the ones I have personal experience of, the Smoothhound and the Harley Benton Airborne Pro would meet your requirements (dongle transmitter, pedalboard resident receiver). The transmitter on the HB is somewhat bigger than that on the Smoothhound. The HB has an internal rechargeable battery that recharges from a cradle in the receiver (can also be recharged via USB) whereas the Smoothhound uses AAAs, and will happily use rechargeables.

18 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

I use a Nux system, pretty much the same as the Boss WL-20 but the jacks are foldable so the unit can rest against the body of the bass (or against the side of an effects pedal). Works on 5.8 so no interference. I like it, comes with a nice little carry-box too.

+1 for the Nux 5.8 Ghz. Really good range and I've not experience drop outs which I did get with some of the 2.4 GHz systems.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

44 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

I've got a NUX 5.8GHz system as well. It has been used for 6 gigs, including two outdoors and one on a large stage, and about 10 rehearsals without any problems so far

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

+1 for the Nux 5.8 Ghz. Really good range and I've not experience drop outs which I did get with some of the 2.4 GHz systems.

Do you chaps mean this system?

https://www.thomann.co.uk/nux_c_5rc_wireless_system.htm

That looks just the ticket and is a far smaller financial commitment than the Shure.....  

11 hours ago, gazhowe said:

If you want a rechargeable bug-type system (i.e. no lead to transmitter pack) I prefer the Sennheiser xsw-d pedalboard set over the Line 6 G10s and Boss WL transmitters as the bug on the Sennheiser can fold to less than 90 degrees from the jack so it doesn't stick out as much. I've used both types with my Stingrays. The Sennheiser has a built in tuner on the pedalboard receiver and is built like a tank.

I didn't like the look of the Sennheiser XSW-D as there is no 1/4" input jack for use if Tx/Rx fails for some reason.

I use the Boss WL20 but both Tx and Rx are rechargeable. Boss WL50 has rechargeable Tx and board-mounting Rx which doubles as the charger for the Tx.

At the SW Bass Bash @stewblack showed me his really neat system that charges both Tx and Rx in a little portable dock between gigs - can’t remember the brand though.

37 minutes ago, Twigman said:

Do you chaps mean this system?

https://www.thomann.co.uk/nux_c_5rc_wireless_system.htm

That looks just the ticket and is a far smaller financial commitment than the Shure.....  

21 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

Yes that`s the one @Twigman

Yup 😊

Just checked - I've had my set for 18 months and now done 100+ gigs and been very happy with them! They replaced my 2.4 GHz Boss WL-20s which I'd had for a couple of years before my Nux - great bit of kit but I was experiencing drop outs. I also tried the Lekato WS-50, which were also good and great value, but I found they introduced a little bit of noise with a couple of my basses. The Nux seem to have hit the sweet spot for me in terms of quality, range, lack of drop-outs and price.

The only thing I would like them to do better is longer charge retention - they're fine for a 2 hour gig, but I take the precaution of switching them off between sets if we have a long gap.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

The only thing I would like them to do better is longer charge retention - they're fine for a 2 hour gig, but I take the precaution of switching them off between sets if we have a long gap.

That can't be right. I use mine continuously at rehearsals which are about 3 hours long, and when I next plug them in the recharge the LED meter is only showing one segment down from full charge.

16 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

That can't be right. I use mine continuously at rehearsals which are about 3 hours long, and when I next plug them in the recharge the LED meter is only showing one segment down from full charge.

Our rehearsals are normally 12-6 with at least 90 minute break in the middle for lunch in the pub, so effectively a 90minute session followed by a 90minute break followed by a 3 hour session so that should be enough to keep it charged provided I remember to plug the charger in during the break - that's not guaranteed as I often forget to unplug my bass during the break (thus using battery).

59 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

Maybe the easiest way to check is to fully charge each of ours and then put them on to see how long it takes to discharge them?

Rechargeable batteries do get worn with usage, as we will all be familiar with. Yours sound like you bought yours new and have used < 20 times? Mine were bought used and are therefore probably 2 to 3 years old now and I've used mine 100+ times at gigs.

I'm just charging mine up now and will report back later...

• Like 1

Some very expensive hi-end brands being recommended here (above) and - while I'm sure they're all absolute killer devices - I'm competely unconvinced that they're the best route forward.

All rechargeable batteries will fade away and (eventually) die, so spending £458 on that Shure outfit seems like an awful lot of money for something that you'll be chucking in a skip sometime around 2027.

If you've not used wireless before then I'd strongly suggest you experiment first with the really cheap stuff (Joyo, Lekato, etc.) which my reasonably extensive experience suggests is at least 90% as good as the top-end stuff whilst costing 90% less.

I started out with https://www.gak.co.uk/en/xvive-xu2-wireless-instrument-system-black

When the batteries started to fade, I experimented with https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/305814068759 and with https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/186311571177

Following a recommendation from @stewblack I also bought https://www.amazon.co.uk/JOYO-Wireless-Transmitter-Receiver-Instruments/dp/B0CRKS96NS

And my experience? They all work. They work just fine, and if there's any difference between the performance of the Joyo and the XVive systems then I've never been able to spot it. I play pubs and clubs, beer gardens and festival stages. I use passive and active basses, 4-string and 5-string.

The only basses I own that have any trouble with wireless systems are double basses - all of them - and I don't understand why. It seems to make no difference whether I'm using piezo or magnetic pickups, full-sized DBs or my Kolstein Busetto, even whether the bass is plywood or aluminium. The strength of the string vibration seems occasionally to overpower the wireless signal producing a juddering sound that reminds me of the ABS cutting in when doing an emergency stop.

Incidentally, the combined cost of ALL FOUR units referenced above was roughly HALF the cost of a single Shure GLXD16. I love Shure kit and I own a fair amount of it, but £458 for a wireless system? Your 'avin' a giraffe.

• Like 2

For me one of the big advantages of the NUX system is that both the transmitter and receive are completely self-contained on the jack plug. My Helix is essentially my pedal board, I really didn't want a completely separate device taking up more floor space, as this can be at a premium for some of the gigs I play. 

• Like 1

I have a selection of systems, which I use dependant on the size of the stage etc.

Number one is my Shure glxd16+. It will do a 5 hour rehearsal without even breaking a sweat and dropping one of the 6 lights charge wise. pedalboard friendly and has a clear display with a built in tuner. also as it's the + model it uses both 2.4 and 5.8ghz.

number 2 is line6 relay g30. great for most pub and small shows. Easy to find at a reasonable price and pedalboard friendly. 

with both of these systems the transmitter goes into my back pocket.

number 3 is a 5.8ghz bug type system I got on amazon for around £35. simple, and adjustable. Used as a back up.

• Like 2