Why become a member? ×

Squier Jaguar H, a good start, but what if...

neepheid

Some of you might recall I bought a Squier Jag H from Thomann, and it got bashed in transit, followed by a massive hoo-ha about whether or not I could keep it for a discount, discount offer was unacceptable, couldn't get a DHL "service"point to accept a parcel that size, currently waiting on a courier to come to the house to collect it.

In the meantime, I managed to snag another one on eBag and here it is (next to the ill-fated charcoal one)

lpbjaguars.thumb.jpg.a8a5a2fb0c2473621f2c8f25810a09ab.jpg

So, I took it to a gig, and it played quite well, stock pickup is a little muddy/vague so I thought I could make it a little better.  I acquired a fine replacement pickup - the Ibanez CAP dual humbucker out of an ATK810, thanks to @TheDaivisch of this very parish (arrived today, thanks mate, over and above).  Today I fitted the pickup:

01_squierjaghibanezpickup1.thumb.jpg.eb66458dd96ab24938c373a8a5414180.jpg02_squierjaghibanezpickup2.thumb.jpg.81875f4eed34d229a6b76b29a9dc6ee4.jpg

Unfortunately, it's a chunky bugger so the pickguard doesn't quite fit over it.  Gonna have to attack the pickguard with a file.  Sounds good though, it's a mighty fine sounding, punchy, articulate pickup.  Just wired it in series just now with the stock electronics, it will get treated to a full rewire with new pots and probably will fit a 3 way switch for series/single/parallel options, because why not.

Earlier, before the pickup arrived, I did some idle scheming in the GIMP:

03_squierjaghmockup.thumb.png.33471fbe56b1b6baa296251550a7099e.png

So as you can see, I'm thinking black pickguard and some black "blocks" ie. stickers just to make it a little fancier.

• Like 4

A half hour of fettling with files and sandpaper and the original pickguard can now fit over the new pickup...

04_squierjaghpickguardadjusted.jpg.c71d007b106b6ea65fb34e3f7f0b7705.jpg

I couldn't find my round file so had to improvise in the corners - they're maybe a tad square but TL:DR, it's on.

• Like 5