Why become a member? ×

Soldering Temperature?

Yesterday, after shielding the cavities of my PJ Player Mustang bass I attempted to start to rewire it to replace the glitchy toggle switch with a switchcraft one and swap some cables about to solve the issue with the volume dropping when rolling off the tone. My soldering iron is an oldish 30W one. Using this iron I found it impossible to reflow the factory solder at all and I had to cut the wires off the switch. I tried to desolder the bare leg of the capacitor from the tone pot using desoldering braid, but couldn't flow the solder at all.

I deduced that a higher powered iron is needed so I placed an amazon order for a 100W one which has buttons to adjust the power and a temperature readout, which seems to be standard now. This defaults to  350ºC and goes up to 500ºC. I found in various bits boxes, a pair of CTS 250kΩ audio pots, a 0.047uF orange drop capacitor and a pure tone socket, so I decided it would make sense to build a new loom. I couldn't remember where I stashed my push-back wire so I added some to my order. My order was delivered today.

The plan is to use a standard P bass circuit, replacing the pickup ground and signal with the ground and signal out from the switch.

I have now mounted the components on a cardboard template and will probably put the loom together tomorrow.

I have both old tin/lead solder — which was easy to use with my old iron, and newer lead free — which wasn't, so I will try to use the lead free with the new iron.

My question is - what temperature do you use when soldering? Is the default 350ºC likely to be hot enough? Is there a disadvantage to upping the temperature beyond what is needed?

Also why are Americans unable to pronounce solder properly?

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Jean-Luc Pickguard said:

why are Americans unable to pronounce solder properly?

Don't ask me, I have no sodding idea!

As to your main question, I suggest you do some test pieces and, if necessary, increase the tip temperature by a few degrees and test repeatedly until you are getting consistently good results.

You might find that your new iron works with lead-free from the off.  It's likely to have been made with lead-free in mind as the default since leaded solder is no longer used in new products.

I retired my dad's "antique" soldering iron recently.  To replace it I bought a new iron.  It worked perfectly.  I don't know what temperature it operates at though, sorry.

Edited by SpondonBassed
  • Like 1

350 to 400 should do well for general use, but it does depend a bit on what you’re soldering and how thick the solder wire is. If you’re working on pots then crank it up (I use 450 or so) and don’t keep it in contact with the pots any longer than needed to do the job. 

Edited by stevel
Spelling was wrogn
  • Like 4

17 minutes ago, SpondonBassed said:

I can't understand why people say this.  What's wrong with it?  I have used it and found it just as easy to use as the old leaded solder.

You don't have to understand it.  If it's working great for you then happy days.  I didn't find it easy at all, I found lead free solder useless - it just balled up and fell off my tip, couldn't even tin with it.  Leaded solder all the way for me.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, neepheid said:

You don't have to understand it.  If it's working great for you then happy days.  I didn't find it easy at all, I found lead free solder useless - it just balled up and fell off my tip, couldn't even tin with it.  Leaded solder all the way for me.

Did you use a solder that has it's own flux?  Or maybe use a dedicated flux that you can apply more precisely to where it's needed?

Sorry to say, it's dead easy.  Just like brazing*.

Brazing is similar to soldering but uses brass as the filler metal.  It needs much higher temperatures and a gas torch is often used to achieve them.  Not recommended for use on musical instruments however.

1 minute ago, SpondonBassed said:

Did you use a solder that has it's own flux?  Or maybe use a dedicated flux that you can apply more precisely to where it's needed?

Sorry to say, it's dead easy.  Just like brazing*.

Brazing is similar to soldering but uses brass as the filler metal.  It needs much higher temperatures and a gas torch is often used to achieve them.  Not recommended for use on musical instruments however.

Once bitten, twice shy.  I'll just keep using my cored leaded solder, I'm happy with my soldering life.

• Like 2

Just now, neepheid said:

Once bitten, twice shy.  I'll just keep using my cored leaded solder, I'm happy with my soldering life.

Stick with what you are comfortable with.  You're an adult and you can do the risk assessment for yourself.  It's probably insignificant for small scale hobbyists anyway.  If you're doing it every day you might want to read up on the symptoms of lead poisoning though.

Honestly, I don't find it any more or less difficult with lead free.

Just now, SpondonBassed said:

Stick with what you are comfortable with.  You're an adult and you can do the risk assessment for yourself.  It's probably insignificant for small scale hobbyists anyway.  If you're doing it every day you might want to read up on the symptoms of lead poisoning though.

Honestly, I don't find it any more or less difficult with lead free.

I'm still on the same roll of solder I had when I was a kid, I think I'll be fine, frequency-wise :D

• Haha 1

IMG_0755.thumb.jpeg.36ccb33fcfecf6075e3e67023bee8b3d.jpeg

I have put together the new loom using a typical p-bass circuit.

I'll finish off tomorrow and solder the white wires from the pickups to each side of the switch, and then the black wires from each plus the bridge and body lug grounds to a blob on the shell of the tone pot. If it all works first time I'll celebrate with a small glass of Bushmills 10 year old single malt. if not I'll have some troubleshooting to do.

I found that the new iron made it much easier. I didn't have to hold it on the components so long to get the solder to flow. I used the lead free as I need all the brain cells I can keep hold of.

Even though the original Korean pots closely resembled CTS pots I had to get out the tapered reamer to open up the holes in the control plate so the CTS ones will fit.

• Like 5

33 minutes ago, Jean-Luc Pickguard said:

I found that the new iron made it much easier. I didn't have to hold it on the components so long to get the solder to flow. I used the lead free as I need all the brain cells I can keep hold of.

Lovely bit of wiring that,

cushty-300x300.png

• Like 1

11 hours ago, neepheid said:

Whoops, thread derailment/sidebar, sorry!

That’s okay, a former president of the USA says it is called ‘The Weave’ when he goes off at a tangent, and some of his good friends who are English professors say it’s the most brilliant thing they’ve ever seen. I wonder whether he added “But they went to a different school so you won’t know them.”

• Haha 2

Woo hoo! The bass is back in one piece and everything is working as it should.

• The new switch works perfectly with no glitching.
  • After turning down the volume a bit, rolling off the tone no longer drops the volume
  • The puretone socket is positive and doesn't push the jack to one side as it is plugged/unplugged.
  • The copper shielding has silenced the small amount of noise that was there.

IMG_0758Large.thumb.jpeg.f074a468eca22f97b964fb2b919a6316.jpeg

All in all a perfect result which calls for a huge sigh of relief and a small glass of celebratory Whiskey.

IMG_0757.thumb.jpeg.06ceec7f5edfacfd22a8de056baaa1ea.jpeg

• Like 6