Why become a member? ×

Music Man? Ernie Ball? Stingray?

Frank Blank

Despite having played a (borrowed) Stingray a few times, in a thrash metal band years ago, I know nothing about these basses. All I remember (I may have been a little refreshed at the time) was the biting tone which fitted perfectly with my style of playing in such a band. For a few years now I've played in an acoustic duo and I have two beautiful short scale basses built by our very own @Jabba_the_gut that are perfect for this endeavour. However, I have, for years now, had a hankering for a solid bodied electric bass. I've been through a few but, for some reason, I've mostly avoided the bigger names. My first 'serious' bass, bought thirty five years ago at The Bass Centre, was a black Jaydee Supernatural and the last was a Fender JMJ Mustang, but, apart from the borrowed Stingray, I have never really had the (sober) Stingray experience.

So...

I need some help from all the Stingray experts. If you were going to buy a Stingray, what would you go for? New? Used? Are there particular years to look out for? I think I've read about there being a pre and post period of some sort? Just to give you a starting point, I quite fancy the look of this 2022 Ernie Ball Music Man Stingray Special 4 currently on sale at Bass Bros, but that's purely on looks, if you had 2K (or 4K for that matter) to spend on a Stingray what would you go for and why?

I've had quite a few Stingrays of all types and ages. Of the ones I still have I would say the 2EQ Classic is probably my favourite.

It's a beautifully put together bass and has that tone.

In my opinion, the Stingray Specials are a different animal. 

I don't dislike them at all, but they're not the same.If I was going to spend some wedge on another Ray, I'd probably looking for something like this.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’d personally get a used one, the prices now are pretty steep. 

The post 2018 are called Stingray Special. They have roasted necks, a new 18v preamp which is lovely, a neodymium pickup, lighter hardware, and a much more ergonomic feel. They are typically lighter too. I had one, but prefer my 2 EQ Ray from 1995, 2EQ and alnico pickups being the main reason. Also prefer my old 2015 3EQ, but it’s just subjective, the Special is still very good. 

Pre 2018 you can have a 2EQ, which is bassier, or a 3EQ which is a bit rockier I suppose as it has a filter in the preamp that takes out some bass. 

The Stingray Classic was a kind of reissue model, 2EQ with a slab body, and a heavy flamed or birds eye neck. But the vintage style slab body is uncomfortable for some people. 

Some folk love the 80s EBMM transition basses, others the early to Mid 90s ones, that also can have figured necks. But to be honest, I’ve never seen a ‘bad’ period. 

Across the range the differences in tone can be nuanced, a good Ray usually sounds like a good Ray! 

Check out some YT vids for a ‘at your caution’  little idea -  like 

Edited by Chiliwailer
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Bassbros have some great Rays in stock…

Liking the pre-Ernie Ball Ray Warren mentioned above. If the pickup wasn’t swapped out I’d have the Teal one from 1996 as always had a soft spot for that color. But you can get a good Ray for under £1500. 

Edited by Chiliwailer
  • Thanks 2

The Pre and Post you mention @Frank Blank is the the Pre Ernie Ball era, so the Leo Fender era starting in 1975, because of the non compete clause after the sale of Fender to CBS in the first days of January 1965.

The first instrument, the Stingray, was made in June 1976 with the Radio Knobs, a white pickguard alongside long pole magnets pickup and the last in early in March 1984 when the company was sold to Ernie Ball.

The preamp was first black epoxied, so unfixable.

Check this website for all the explanations needed: http://www.musicmanbass.global/

Having a 1978 2 EQ and a 1987 rosewood fretboard 3 EQ at home alongside 2 Sterling by Music Man Ray4's (a Sunburst turned into a Radio Knobs with a Nordstrand MM 4.2 pickup coupled to a Nordstrand 2B-MM preamp and a Pueblo Pink fully stock except for the pickup wired in parallel for more tone accuracy), all I can say is that the real tone of the Stingray comes from the pickup wired in parallel coupled to the 2 EQ preamp.

The 3 EQ preamp is interesting, but the added midrange changes the overall tone.

If you are short money wise, buy a Sterling by Music Man Ray4 and simply wire the pickup in parallel, you'll be amazed by the tone.

The maple fingerboard works terrific with flatwounds and the rosewood fingerboard works very well with roundwounds.

If you have the money, buy a Pre Ernie Ball, but prefer a model from 1978 on as all the original flaws have been corrected: the mutes won't cut your hands anymore, the saddles are aligned with the strings, the pickup has lost its too strong long pole magnets and the preamp is not black epoxied anymore (so fixable), but still lacks an anti reverse polarity diode and a battery switching output jack (yes the battery is always on even when it's not plugged, but the consumption of the LM4250 chipset is deliriously low and won't empty your battery before years, no kidding), but it takes 2 minutes to solve this.

• Like 7

Best bang-for-buck in my opinion is a USA Stingray Sub from the early/mid 2000’s. If you want the original 2 band preamp, don't mind the slab body, and a bass that will survive the knocks and dings of pub gigs, then this would be my choice. 

• Thanks 1

As others have said there’s no bad years for EBMM stingrays the quality has been top notch all the way through. And I would agree the 2 band eq ones are the most classic stingray sound. The new post 2018 “specials” are actually my favourites nowadays they sound a little less naturally scooped and have a warmer tone, and are lighter which is a big benefit. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Check Nate Navarro testing a Sterling by Music Man Ray4, there's not much more to add, to me way better than the American Sub series on all aspects and I had a few.

Quality wise there's a huge difference between a 1976 Stingray and a 2024 Stingray, the original simply being a plank with a neck very roughly made, but the pickup and preamp are pure genius and that's what makes the sound of the Stingray.

• Thanks 1

I’d thread cautiously and try as many as you can. I’ve had several Stingrays that (to me) have just felt soulless planks of wood. And then a few that have been amazing.

Personally I found the mids from the pickup a bit too much for me. In the end I prefer a passive single coil as it’s softer and less aggressive, but that’s just me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

PXL_20241020_103943140.thumb.jpg.69a9e23c0d1c1c79f09b14d8ddcbc86f.jpgI've had a 2 band 1989 Stingray since the early 90s and it has been my main bass and reference for playability and tone since then. For years it was my only bass so always feels like 'home'.

I recently picked up a Stingray Special as wanted to try the new 3 band EQ and to not rely too heavily on the 89 as a primary gigging bass. I'm really loving it, but the tone is quite different, especially the treble quality which to me seems 'sweeter' but not as transparent. The midrange character is also subtly different to my ears. It can get very close to the tones I like from my 2 band when bass and treble are cut. Boosted it sounds great, but different. In a band setting it's not huge, but I am already appreciating the bigger range of tones on offer. In summary I'm really glad to have both as they offer similar ground in the things I like about Stingrays, but different enough to justify having both!

There's really great choice if you're in the market for a Stingray now, either pre-2018 used, the Sterling ranges etc etc that you're bound to find something you're happy with at a price you're comfortable with. I managed to pick up a new Special for not much more than I see then go for used, so deals are out there if you are flexible about colour and fingerboard material.

Edited by Mokl
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Lovely basses, Will at BB regularly has an amazing stock, priced well, too.

Think they represent quite a bargain used, at the mo.

At one time, I had 2 - a 2 and a 3 EQ. Sadly, both now moved on. Reason? What I play, the band never liked them, eventually. I found myself selling 1, never using the other, so in time, let it go as well. I had no complaints, problems, or anything else. I love them.

Only slight gripe, some (one of mine did) are affected by a weak D and G string. No amount of set up would fix it - I had the pickup replaced by a Nordstrand - problem fixed immediately, and it sounded amazing. It now lives another life with @Yoda 😀 Cracking bass. 

Edited by spongebob
  • Like 1

What you say @spongebob about the Nordstrand (MM 4.2 I guess) is very interesting as I had quite the opposite on my SBMM Radio Knobs.

In fact, the D and A strings were too powerful and the G string was lacking some brightness, but not weaker.

I changed the Ernie Ball Slinky 2833 roundwounds for Fender 9050L flatwounds: all became totally even and way better sounding...

Here they are:

SterlingbyMusicManRay4VintageSunburstSatin(12).thumb.jpg.0bacfbbfd014e7b379dcd4760e971c94.jpg

On 19/10/2024 at 17:32, Frank Blank said:

Despite having played a (borrowed) Stingray a few times, in a thrash metal band years ago, I know nothing about these basses. All I remember (I may have been a little refreshed at the time) was the biting tone which fitted perfectly with my style of playing in such a band. For a few years now I've played in an acoustic duo and I have two beautiful short scale basses built by our very own @Jabba_the_gut that are perfect for this endeavour. However, I have, for years now, had a hankering for a solid bodied electric bass. I've been through a few but, for some reason, I've mostly avoided the bigger names. My first 'serious' bass, bought thirty five years ago at The Bass Centre, was a black Jaydee Supernatural and the last was a Fender JMJ Mustang, but, apart from the borrowed Stingray, I have never really had the (sober) Stingray experience.

So...

I need some help from all the Stingray experts. If you were going to buy a Stingray, what would you go for? New? Used? Are there particular years to look out for? I think I've read about there being a pre and post period of some sort? Just to give you a starting point, I quite fancy the look of this 2022 Ernie Ball Music Man Stingray Special 4 currently on sale at Bass Bros, but that's purely on looks, if you had 2K (or 4K for that matter) to spend on a Stingray what would you go for and why?

Hiya @Frank Blank - here’s my take on these basses:-

If you have £4K - your choices are:-

a) A pre EB Stingray in v good condition.

b) A brand new 70s retro Stingray (same as an early pre EB but brand new with full warranty etc). They’re available in the EBMM Vault, for international shipping (only in natural) - the other colours have to be ordered via a dealer (say Guitar Guitar).*
c) A brand new Stingray Special via the Custom Design Experience - plenty of colours, pick up configurations etc *
d) A brand new Stingray Special in a standard colour via a dealer *
* dependent on what you get, you’ll get plenty of change from £4k

Used, Stingray Specials are up to £2k as are Stingray Classics, much dependent on colour and spec. Standard Stingrays up to 2017 are around £1500 although there’s much variation. 

Now some user experience - I’ve been using this type of bass since about 1980 and apart from occasionally playing a Musicman Bongo, I generally play a Stingray. My go to is a 2018 Stingray Special HH - the HH can get the standard single pick up (bridge) sound but you have options to mix it with elements from the neck pick up for a slightly broader, 2 pick up sound - also gives an additional wicked scooped slap sound. It’s a Swiss Army knife bass - my sound is really a Bernard Edwards sound or Pino Palladino circa 1981. 

I don’t favour the 2 band over the 3 band particularly because the 2 band can produce too much low end bass which can be muddy in certain rooms. 

If you have up to £750 then a US Musicman Sub is a good option. The bass would be about 20 yrs old but effectively a full fat 2 band Musicman with cheaper textured finish and painted back of neck finish. I have a 5 string one which I gig sometimes. 

Basses I use currently on gigs:-

Funky blues/jazz - Stingray Special usually

Rock and Roll/Elvis - Stingray Classic or Sabre Classic (both 2 band - I prefer the Sabre owing to two pick ups)

Ska - Stingray Tim Commerford passive long scale

Pop/disco/funk - Stingray Special 

I hope this is helpful - I’ve actually got 11 Stingrays including various 5 strings, fretless, 2 band and 3 band. The 3 band versions give far more versatility to deal with ‘difficult’ room sounds and to  be switch sounds slightly between numbers. I still love the 2 bands as well though.

I haven’t covered the Sterling by Musicman stuff as others have covered these - the Ray 34/35 are the offshore version of the pre 2018 Stingray (about £1.2k new and maybe the same price or less used than a US Sub. Also I haven’t covered copies. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I’ll not comment on the differences, there’s plenty of useful info given by the guys above. I will comment on the Special you’re looking at at Bass Bros, that looks an awesome bass but is at the top end of weight for a special. Most fall in the 8-9lb range. Andertons and Bass Direct give weights on their MM stock if that’s something that is a consideration to you.

Edited by martthebass
  • Thanks 1

On 20/10/2024 at 16:15, spongebob said:

...Think they represent quite a bargain used, at the mo... 

You're kidding, right? I know there's been a rush on prices for all basses* recently but Stingrays have over doubled in price in the past 3-4 years. 

* all things, to be fair 

On 20/10/2024 at 16:15, spongebob said:

Lovely basses, Will at BB regularly has an amazing stock, priced well, too.

Think they represent quite a bargain used, at the mo.

At one time, I had 2 - a 2 and a 3 EQ. Sadly, both now moved on. Reason? What I play, the band never liked them, eventually. I found myself selling 1, never using the other, so in time, let it go as well. I had no complaints, problems, or anything else. I love them.

Only slight gripe, some (one of mine did) are affected by a weak D and G string. No amount of set up would fix it - I had the pickup replaced by a Nordstrand - problem fixed immediately, and it sounded amazing. It now lives another life with @Yoda 😀 Cracking bass. 

I'm still in love with it, so it's been no holiday romance! 😍